What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

New Autodiscover Group, AD filter error

Votes:

I'm trying to create an Auto-Discovery group and filter this by the option:

Use computers from the active directory (maximum 1000 computers).

When entering the following string into the Organizational Unit box:

OU=Name of OrgUnit,OU=LowerName,OU=LowerName,DC=DOMAIN,DC=SUFFIX

I receive the following error message:

Error (Bad Request) The validation of at least one of the new objects failed because of the following: Active Directory cannot be accessed for "IP Selection" (Auto discovery setting)

I have tried to amend the Organizational Unit string with the following alternatives but still this does not work.

Name of OrgUnit,OU=LowerName,OU=LowerName,DC=DOMAIN,DC=SUFFIX
  "Name of OrgUnit",OU=LowerName,OU=LowerName,DC=DOMAIN,DC=SUFFIX
  "Name of OrgUnit,OU=LowerName,OU=LowerName,DC=DOMAIN,DC=SUFFIX"
  "OU=Name of OrgUnit,OU=LowerName,OU=LowerName,DC=DOMAIN,DC=SUFFIX"

None of the above have worked.

active-directory auto-discovery prtg

Created on Aug 30, 2018 3:39:29 PM

Last change on Aug 30, 2018 9:40:55 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi there,

Could you try the following:

name,OU=name

As PRTG is already connected to the domain, it is not necessary to add the "DC="-suffix.

Best regards

Created on Sep 14, 2018 1:47:23 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

12 Replies

Votes:

You need to go over to Setup -> System Administration -> Core and Probes, and then put in the AD Domain, and tell PRTG how to authenticate to it. This doesn't do a join to the domain, just gives PRTG credentials to authenticate to the domain for things like adding computers from an OU, and added a user group that is tied to an AD group.

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Aug 30, 2018 10:51:46 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

I'm afraid I still have the same issue, even after changing the Core Probes service account (to an specific PRTG account that is a domain Admin) and then after this didn't work, manually setting these settings you describe with the active directory account I am using to connect to the AD.

Created on Aug 31, 2018 11:13:04 AM

Votes:

Try just entering the name of the OU without the nomenclature you are using.

I don't think PRTG needs all that information.

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Aug 31, 2018 10:21:00 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

I have tested numerous variations but none work. Even testing with an OU that has no spaces does not work.

I have tried the following and each time I receive the same error message.

ou=name,OU=name,OU=name,DC=domain,DC=suffix

- or -

name,OU=name,OU=name,DC=domain,DC=suffix

- or -

name,OU=name,OU=name,DC=domain.suffix

Is there not a definitive guide to using this feature that tells you exactly what you need to enter?

Created on Sep 3, 2018 12:09:56 PM

Votes:

Sorry but:

Name,OU=Name,OU=Name,DC=Domain,DC=Suffix

Still results in the same error.

Created on Sep 4, 2018 7:58:40 AM

Votes:

Hi,

No, I meant just type in the name of the OU.

As in "Computers" or "Servers". We will poll AD for the name. Just make sure the OU contains a host.

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Sep 4, 2018 7:24:10 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Benjamin,

Im sorry but you're not being clear.

Whoich of the following is correct?

OU=name,OU=name,OU=name,DC=domain,DC=suffix - or - name,OU=name,OU=name,DC=domain,DC=suffix - or - name,OU=name,OU=name,DC=domain.suffix

Created on Sep 14, 2018 10:04:09 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi there,

Could you try the following:

name,OU=name

As PRTG is already connected to the domain, it is not necessary to add the "DC="-suffix.

Best regards

Created on Sep 14, 2018 1:47:23 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

The following did not work:

OU=Name,OU=Name,OU=Name

However, this did work:

Name,OU=Name,OU=Name

Thank you for the help. May I suggest paessler updates its documentation so that future users know the exact requirements for this function.

Created on Sep 14, 2018 2:06:47 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

The documentation actually mentions this, more or less:
Make sure that the OU contains a host. If the OU is empty, you will receive an error message.

If you have sub-OUs, consider the correct syntax in the format Y,OU=X: OUs that are part of another OU have to be listed together with their parent(s). Enter the sub-OU followed by ,OU= and the name of the parent OU.

Examples:

• Assuming that the organizational unit 'Y' is part of the OU named 'X'. Then the syntax would be Y,OU=X
  • For three OUs 'X', 'Y' part of 'X', and 'Z' part of 'Y', the syntax would be Z,OU=Y,OU=X The order is important, sub-OUs have to be listed left of their particular parents!

Best regards.

Created on Sep 14, 2018 2:15:47 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The guidance on creating an Autodiscover group does not mention anything of the above.

What you have to guide you is the following:

Optionally enter a string to define an organizational unit (OU) if you want to restrict the active directory search to computers that are part of this OU. You can leave this field empty if you do not want to restrict the search. 

Note: Ensure that you set the correct domain name for your active directory. Check this in the System Administration settings, section Active Directory Integration in Server & Probes. Also ensure that the OU contains a host. If the OU does not contain a host, you will receive an error message.

Further Help (Manual)

The Further Help (Manual) link takes you to:

Use computers from the active directory (maximum 1000 computers): Search in the active directory for computers to perform auto-discovery.

Define your active directory domain in advance in the system administration. 
See System Administration—Core & Probes.

Following the System Administration-Core & Probes link takes you to the Active Directory Integration section which also has none of the information you have provided.

This is why I suggest you update your guidance.

Created on Sep 14, 2018 2:29:02 PM

Last change on Sep 14, 2018 2:33:10 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi there,

Unfortunately, the "Further Help" does not have many anchors, which is why you start the sensor settings. When you scroll down, you will see the information about the "Organizational Unit"-setting.

Best regards.

Created on Sep 14, 2018 2:34:06 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.