What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP DoS

Votes:

We have upgraded to Version 18.3.43.2323+

Now we receive SNMP DoS from our QNAP NAS devices. We did not receive this with the previous Version. Any Ideas?

BR

Thomas

qnap snmp update

Created on Sep 2, 2018 5:29:47 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hi Thomas,

Please try disabling System Information for the QNAPs, you find it in "Settings" tab of a device in section "Advanced Network Analysis". Let us know if this helps, we've also had a case where we've seen that disabling system information did not stop PRTG to run those additional SNMP queries nevertheless once a day, which triggered then those alarms on the QNAPs. We have a bug ticket open for this.

Alternatively you could disable or adjust this DDoS detection on the QNAP as described here.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Sep 3, 2018 7:30:26 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Erhard

I have disabled "system information" on both devices yesterday and now I have received a DoS from one QNAP

Now I will follow the steps to disable DDoS on the QNAP device

Best regards Thomas

Created on Sep 5, 2018 11:23:06 AM

Votes:

Hello Thomas,

Yes, that's possible, it is possible that even when System Information is disabled, those queries are still being performed every now and then, we're currently looking into that.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Sep 5, 2018 1:36:22 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello there,

I just wanted to follow up on this case. With PRTG 19.1.48.2891, the bug causing DDoS alarms on QNAP devices was fixed.

More details can be found here. Most of the changes can be found in version 19.1.48.2868 of February 2nd 2019.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Feb 20, 2019 9:34:31 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.