What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Port speed on Server

Votes:

Hello

I have some Esxi,windows and Linux Servers and the switch port speed is 1000.but for some reasons they could be available and up with 100Mbps speed.I want a sensor to add and alarm me which interface on my server is 100Mbps.How I can Achieve this?

interface port-speed prtg

Created on Sep 3, 2018 3:14:43 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Are we talking about VMs or physical ports?

What kind of switches do you use?

There are various ways - as for Linux there might be an SNMP query - as for Windows there should be a WMI query and ESXi - well - those are for sure connected to physical switches so just monitor the ports there - per SNMP.

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Sep 4, 2018 1:53:36 PM

Votes:

Thanks Florian

we are talking about some physical windows and Esxi host servers.we have Cisco switch.

I can add SNMP traffic sensor but it shows port speed only on sensor creation,I want to have port speed after sensor creation.what can I do? you said we have port speed on connected physical port switch.Please let me know what is the sensor name?

I find https://gshaw0.wordpress.com/2017/05/04/quick-tips-custom-port-speed-sensor-for-prtg/ but it seems it works for 10G network.I want it for 1G network.

Created on Sep 6, 2018 9:21:28 AM

Votes:

Hello Sara,

the values given, in the linked article's case 10G, refer to the information provided by the queried device. It's not said, that you receive the very same values.

You might also check out Stephan's reply here. Please let us know if that suits you.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Sep 6, 2018 9:40:47 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.