What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

It is possible to prepare sensors before going Live?

Votes:

It's been a few times already where I have configured around twenty or so Switches on a desk waiting for the right moment to be installed all at once in nearby locations. Usually, I have minor adjustments to make but they work as desired. After going live, I add those devices to PRTG.

Is there a way to "prepare" or add offline (paused?) devices AND SENSORS so they can be unpaused once they go Live? I can add the devices, but I can't add SNMP Traffic sensors (or custom sensors) unless they respond accordingly.

Please take into consideration that there is no visibility between the PRTG server and the switches being configured in the LAB. Not until they go productive.

Thanks and regards, Agustin.

offline readying snmp

Created on Sep 5, 2018 12:29:06 PM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Agustin,

I'm afraid that this is not possible. To take up your example with the switch, PRTG cannot know the details, like the index number of every target interface, so creating the sensor pointing to the correct metric(s) is not possible.

This just counts for a pre-defined sensor set accordingly to that specific device. If you want to run an automatically discovery, even within a defined schedule, you can deploy the settings in a group within PRTG.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Sep 6, 2018 9:02:38 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.