What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

API: Get system information for a router

Votes:

Hi I have operations to do which require to get loopback addresses from Cisco routers At the moment the only mean I have is to go to System Information in the web interface but it is very slow (many devices involved) Is it possible to do this by script using the API? If yes what is the function to use I am not asking for a ful script, just the URL and the kind of result is enough. I will manage parsing

Thank you upfront

api-queries snmp snmp-sensor system-information

Created on Sep 7, 2018 11:03:48 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Can you explain that a bit more? You want PRTG to read out the loopback addresses? What is there to monitor for PRTG?

Further, did you check if the SNMP MIBs from Cisco for your routers might be able to help you with this task?

Hopefully we can find a way to help you with some more information and a deeper understanding of what you want to accomplish.

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Sep 7, 2018 1:43:45 PM

Votes:

We have no means to send snmp requests to the routers but from the PRTG server which we do not manage The only mean we have is the web interface or prtg console I have to get the loopback address from Cisco routers. At the moment the only way I can do it is, from PRTG's web interface, select the router and click on "Systems information" where I have a list of all the interfaces and other infos like these Name Value IPAddress / Loopback99 ww.xx.yy.zz ObjectID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.xxx System Description Cisco IOS Software, Cxxx Software This can be parsed easily if can get it It sounds like PRTG makes a periodical query to get this info (btw I don't know how to tune the refresh delay of the query) I wish I could get this info from a powershell script (or any other language) like this: invoke-webrequest https://server/api?router.systemsinfo Is it possible to make that? On the other hand I can imagine having a sensor giving the list of the interfaces, but it does not exist, does it?

Created on Sep 7, 2018 9:46:23 PM

Votes:

Hello dgiraud,

"System Information" details are stored for each device in a json-style textfile in PRTG's data-path, please read here more about it.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Sep 10, 2018 11:24:55 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

That's it Thank you

Created on Sep 10, 2018 11:26:35 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.