What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring router dropouts

Votes:

Hello there,

I'm new to PRTG and had a question. I have been getting a lot of dropouts recently on my FTTN NBN connection, and having a look through my router logs, it dosnt seem to record disconnects for any decent length time periods, so was wondering if there is a sensor I can set up in PRTG to constantly monitor VDSL disconnects, that way I have a good record and can approach the providor :-)

Many thanks,

Chris

connection prtg vdsl

Created on Sep 9, 2018 1:04:29 AM

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Chris,

There is a lot you theoretically can do - but it depends things like your hardware etc.

• create PING sensors - interval 30 seconds - PING targets should be various web-sites like google.com etc.. - just to have a broader picture
  • PING the provider primary gateway after your router
  • PING the provider secondary gateway, assuming you have one and know it (TRACERT / TRACEROUTE)
  • PING your router internally

If your router supports it - use SNMP - in two ways if possible:

• PRTG sends SNMP queries to your router (top interval 30 seconds)
  • PRTG is the trap target for SNMP generated log-messages from your router (this is pro-active from the router)

You further mention you don't see anything in your router logs - this is rather confusing. I highly recommend to investigate your internal structure as well.

Without knowing more details about your network, I can only guess around on what is the root cause. If you really think it is an provider issue then probably start using PINGPLOTTER for a while and see where the connection drop occurs and when - this might be helpful for you as well cause it shows the hops down the line.

Hope this points you in the right direction and is all helpful to you

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Sep 10, 2018 1:48:41 PM

Votes:

Many thanks for your reply. I do have a router log, that shows disconnects etc, but it only shows the last few hours, and I was kind of looking at a few weeks of records.

I will try to set up some pings, and hopeully that should give me an idea of how frquent the disconnects are :-)

Many thanks for your help!

Cheers Chris

Created on Sep 11, 2018 10:00:20 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

Thank you for your great answer Florian! :)

Chris let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards

Created on Sep 11, 2018 10:30:24 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Last change on Sep 11, 2018 10:30:29 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.