What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

What standard Value Lookups are available?

Votes:

I am using an HTTP Data Advanced sensor to display either 1 or 0 for a set of sensors. I would like to use a value lookup to show a Boolean gauge, but as I don't have access to the probe that will be receiving the sensor data, I'm unable to add a custom lookup.

Can I use the the PRTG defined lookups, and if so where can I find their names?

I've tried adding {..."ValueLookup":"Boolean"} to my channel declaration, but this results in a warning - configured lookup boolean is empty or not available

Docs URL - https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/define_lookups

Example of channel -

{ "prtg": { "result": [ { "channel": "CMS-CMS", "value": 1, "unit": "Custom", "customUnit": "", "ValueLookup": "Boolean" } ] } }

boolean lookups prtg prtg18 value-lookup

Created on Sep 18, 2018 9:41:41 AM

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello there,
thank you for your inquiry.

I encourage you to ask the PRTG administrator for a copy of the following folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\lookups\

That will give you a good idea of what's 'available'. This is a valid JSON Example of output:

{
  "prtg": {
    "result": [
      {
        "channel": "Channel 1 (float)",
        "value": "12.3456",
        "float": "1",
        "unit": "custom",
        "customunit": "celsius"
      },
      {
        "channel": "Channel 3 (lookup)",
        "value": "1",
        "valuelookup": "prtg.standardlookups.exchangedag.yesno.stateyesok"
      }
    ],
    "text": "The sensor's message"
  }
}

Note that valuelookup has the value of prtg.standardlookups.exchangedag.yesno.stateyesok. This matches a *.ovl file within the lookups folder. In this particular case, this one:

prtg.standardlookups.exchangedag.yesno.stateyesok.ovl

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<ValueLookup id="prtg.standardlookups.exchangedag.yesno.stateyesok" desiredValue="1" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="PaeValueLookup.xsd">
	<Lookups>
		<SingleInt state="Ok" value="1">Yes</SingleInt>
		<SingleInt state="Error" value="0">No</SingleInt>
	</Lookups>
</ValueLookup>

The name of the valuelookup must match the id= within one of the lookups loaded in PRTG. Checking the contents of the aforementioned folder is the best way to find "what lookups are available"(and what values they support).

Please let me know if this clarifies the situation. Please just keep in mind that lookups are stored on the PRTG Core Server, not on the Probe (because the evaluation of results is handled by the Core, not Probes)

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Sep 19, 2018 11:02:14 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hi Luciano,

That's for your reply.

I see now that lookups are listed in Channel settings - I hadn't spotted that before.

As we have multiple probes I'm not sure exactly where the lookups should come from. I have been able to access one of our probes, but the lookups folder is empty :(

But for now, the "Yes" "No" response produced by the lookup you mentioned will suffice, so I'm happy to move forward with that.

Thanks, David

Created on Sep 19, 2018 12:46:06 PM

Votes:

Hello David,
thank you for your reply.

Yes, all loaded lookups will be shown in the channel settings if the channel supports lookups. However, to find out what the definition of each lookup is, you will need to inspect the *.ovl files in "C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\lookups\" on the PRTG Core Server.

Please keep in mind that while your deployment may have multiple probes, there will only be one Core Server in a standalone deployment: Core and Probes

Here's a short sample of the folder's contents:

Directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\lookups

Mode                LastWriteTime         Length Name                                                                  
----                -------------         ------ ----                                                                  
-a----       03/07/2018     10:23            808 oid.buffalo-nas-mib.nasarray.nasarraystatus.ovl                       
-a----       20/02/2017     15:32            519 oid.buffalo-nas-mib.nasdisk.nasdisksmartstatus.ovl                    
-a----       20/02/2017     15:32           1498 oid.buffalo-nas-mib.nasdisk.nasdiskstatus.ovl                         
-a----       20/02/2017     15:32            709 oid.buffalo-nas-mib.nasfailoverparams.nasfailoverstatus.ovl           
-a----       20/02/2017     15:32            443 oid.buffalo-nas-mib.nasiscsi.nasiscsistatus.ovl                       
-a----       20/02/2017     15:32            434 oid.buffalo-nas-mib.nasrpsu.nasrpsustatus.ovl               
[...]
-a----       17/07/2018     12:56            617 prtg.standardlookups.wmi.antivir.ovl                                  
-a----       17/07/2018     12:56            421 prtg.standardlookups.yesno.statenook.ovl                              
-a----       17/07/2018     12:56            506 prtg.standardlookups.yesno.statenookna.ovl                            
-a----       17/07/2018     12:56            422 prtg.standardlookups.yesno.stateyesok.ovl 

There are around 200 default lookups included with PRTG. They are stored on the Core Server because the Probe doesn't evaluate monitoring results, it just collects them.

If there are any further questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Sep 19, 2018 1:06:24 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.