What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

It's safe to move Monitoring database files?

Votes:

Hello, I would like to move Monitoring database files (PRTG_DataFiles_Path\Monitoring Database) to another location as backup. Is it safe to do it? And can I later move it back when I would need to look into history?

backup-monitoring logs prtg

Created on Sep 19, 2018 9:52:00 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Dear Jiri,

yes, the data folder can be moved. It can also be moved back later. As long as you follow the linked instructions to let PRTG know where to find the data, it is safe.

Created on Sep 19, 2018 1:58:33 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for answer. Does this mean that I can also move only part of these files? For example I would move only the oldest two months and after a year I would move it back to rest of these files only to check history. That is possible too?

Created on Sep 19, 2018 2:04:00 PM

Votes:

Dear Jiri,

while you can copy the files to multiple places, PRTG can only use one folder at any point in time. So you can restore backups, but not having PRTG access two different locations.

Please note, the default time frame to keep historic data is 365 days. You can change this time frame via menu Setup / System Administration / Cores&Probes, section "Historic Data Purging", field "Historic Sensor Data". Older data is automatically deleted by PRTG.

Created on Sep 19, 2018 2:21:04 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Sep 19, 2018 2:21:33 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I know. I just want to backup historical data to another location (server), but still have them available and copy them back if something will go wrong. So thank you for the answer!

Created on Sep 19, 2018 2:30:27 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.