What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Permissions for WMI user and permissions for users that can login with AD?

Votes:

Hello,

I have two questions with giving users permissions.

First of all, what kind of permissions does a WMI user need, and how can I grant them the permissions? Secondly, I have tried linking my AD with PRTG and some users can't seem to login, unless I put them in the OU 'Administrators'.

What permisions do I need to give to the WMI user, and what permissoins do people need that want to login with their AD account on PRTG. I can't seem to find it out, looked through most of the permissions available already.

Kind Regards,

Sven

activedirectory permissions wmi

Created on Sep 21, 2018 2:43:12 PM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi there,

For SNMP is no administrative or write user needed as PRTG only reads the values. However with WMI it is a entirely different story. We usually recommend to use a Domain-Admin as the guarantees that the sensors will not fail because of access or permission issues. Unfortunately, there is no real permission set that describes which WMI-Query needs which permission, which is why we can't tell you the needed minimum permissions. We have some customers that were able to cut the permissions of the WMI-user, however other failed as WMI seem to work different from environment to environment. This is a question that has to be asked the guys in Redmond (Microsofts HQ). The following site might help you further:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa393266(v=VS.85).aspx

For the AD authentication you need to configure a User Group under "Setup > System Administration > User Groups". There you can select "Use Active Directory" and under that you can select the User Group from your Active Directory that should be added to PRTG:
https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/active_directory_integration

Best regards.

Created on Sep 24, 2018 10:47:34 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.