What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

(SNMP error # -2003).

Votes:

Hi, Locally I can add SNMP HP ProLiant, but I am stuck on trying to add any SNMP HP ProLiant in our remote server. This is the error message:

No response (check: firewalls, routing, snmp settings of device, IPs, SNMP version, community, passwords etc) (SNMP error # -2003).

The SNMP service is up.

Any help/advice appreciated. Thanks and regards.

hp-proliant-health prtg17 snmp-sensor

Created on Sep 22, 2018 7:44:37 AM

Last change on Sep 24, 2018 6:15:18 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi there,

Did you run SNMP Tester from the same host where PRTG or the remote probe in question is running that should monitor the device? Open PRTG Administration Tool on the regarding PRTG server/remote probe, tab "Probe Settings for Monitoring" to check if it is maybe configured to one particular interface that is maybe not able to reach the target (ping sensor does not regard this setting, but SNMP sensors do).

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Sep 25, 2018 11:42:17 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

6 Replies

Votes:

Hello there,

Which IP are you using for the device in PRTG? When you're trying to add HP ProLiant specific sensors like the ProLiant System Health Sensor, you need it to point to the iLO interface, though it depends on the version of iLO and GenX we're talking about. Please see the sensor's description (section "Remarks") for further details.

In case you're querying the IP of the regular interface and assuming Windows is installed on the host, you basically query Windows' SNMP service. By default it's only listening locally for SNMP requests, therefor check tab "Security" of the SNMP service's properties to allow SNMP queries from remote hosts as well.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Sep 24, 2018 8:16:49 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi sir Erhard,

By the way, all of our servers have the same configuration ("ILO4, Gen8, WinServer2012 R2, SNMP service is up, community is the same, accept SNMP packets from any host , HP system management and agent are installed. Both PRTG server and remote server, the ip is the regular interface, both /16 ip series")

I tried to add SNMP sensor(SNMP HP proliant System Health to be exact) in our different server but the same config and it worked. But in other servers, i keep getting #-2003 error. Can't even add SNMP system uptime sensor. But when I used SNMP tester, this is the result. 9/25/2018 3:15:22 AM (4 ms) : SNMP V2c 9/25/2018 3:15:22 AM (5 ms) : Uptime 9/25/2018 3:15:22 AM (7 ms) : SNMP Datatype: ASN_TIMETICKS 9/25/2018 3:15:22 AM (9 ms) : ------- 9/25/2018 3:15:22 AM (11 ms) : DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::sysUpTimeInstance = 17436353 ( 2 days 0 hours 26 minutes ) 9/25/2018 3:15:22 AM (13 ms) : SNMP Datatype: ASN_TIMETICKS 9/25/2018 3:15:22 AM (14 ms) : HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrSystemUptime.0 = 17439326 ( 2 days 0 hours 26 minutes ) 9/25/2018 3:15:22 AM (16 ms) : Done

Sorry for the novice question. Am I missing something here? Thank you sir in advance.

Created on Sep 24, 2018 7:40:19 PM

Last change on Sep 25, 2018 11:36:32 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi there,

Did you run SNMP Tester from the same host where PRTG or the remote probe in question is running that should monitor the device? Open PRTG Administration Tool on the regarding PRTG server/remote probe, tab "Probe Settings for Monitoring" to check if it is maybe configured to one particular interface that is maybe not able to reach the target (ping sensor does not regard this setting, but SNMP sensors do).

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Sep 25, 2018 11:42:17 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Sir,

I run the SNMP tester from our PRTG server. I already select the auto in Outgoing IP for monitoring request, but still the error is still occurring in our other server.

Best regards

Created on Sep 25, 2018 2:12:08 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

I will send you an email about requesting further details like screenshots and alike.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Sep 26, 2018 8:21:24 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Erhard,

The issue has been resolved. By adding another community name in security, can't explain why the old community name is not working. Thank you so much!

Kind regards, Ben

Created on Sep 26, 2018 5:11:37 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.