What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Prtg map

Votes:

Hi I have two question abut Prtg map:

1-I there any way to make a map in prtg base on object dependency....for example consider my twenty branches is connected to my office.I want to have a map which shows Office as central point with all connected branch...I want if one of my branches goes down,My Office color object change to red...is it possible?

2-can I add sensors from multiple device into prtg map and relate them to each other...for example I want a box name DC Replication and add different sensors from all of my DC Servers.

map monitoring prtg

Created on Sep 23, 2018 12:54:46 PM

Last change on Sep 24, 2018 6:15:34 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello Sara,

Thank you very much for your contact.

Regarding your first request, you might check out the following kb article:
Custom Status-Related Icons/Objects for Maps

The second request is not possible at present I'm afraid.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Sep 24, 2018 12:31:26 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Sara,

For all of what you ask - I would say it is possible - but not in an automated "auto generate map" way.

What we did:

• created maps for various views like
    • DFS replication
    • Internet and metro ethernet connection (world-wide LAN) and the components involved
    • RDS/Terminalserver CPU/memory/etc. and amount of users
    • switches and routers on site
    • Active Directory
    • printers
    • helpdesk related objects
    • etc..
  • we then used an TV (actually an older one we had around) and connected it to a workstation
  • the workstation is loading a special HTML file (see link further below)
  • the HTML file rotates controlled through the maps - so we constantly see what is going on and if something is rather unusual

To have some fun we did go a bit further:

• we activated remote powershell commands on the Windows client on the TV and fire alarms via text-to-speech to it - eventually PRTG learned to talk to us - through the TV - some sensors where even implemented to just have some fun with that but that's a whole different story - text-to-speech link below
  • we have little animated GIFs and videos as ester-eggs in between.. the maps might rotate through 5 times and then a little gimick shows up - this was done with the MAP link below as well..

Not saying that this necessarily answer all your questions - but yes you can create maps for your needs and auto-circle through them - weather your IT department is allowed to have a little bit of fun with it or not totally depends on the company you work for.. essentially this is a NOC - network operations center - and it really helps us seeing those maps and hearing PRTG informing us about things going on without even paying attention to some messages that might just have popped up on our screens (besides all the other one million messages we get).

What we still miss - but discussed

• a beacon - a rotating light or light a traffic light green, yellow and red - we think about it but no one did chime in yet - having that said there are cool articles on the PRTG web site for it - and there are some cool toys out there - ethernet beacons and USB beacons (cheaper).

Text-to-Speech: https://www.it-admins.com/using-powershell-for-text-to-speech/

MAP auto-cycling: https://www.it-admins.com/auto-cycle-through-urls/

To be clear - the content of both of the above links is posted here in the KB as well - just easier for me to find it in my own blog...

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Sep 24, 2018 2:22:37 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.