What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Adding cloning sensors using PRTG-API

Votes:

Hello

I am cloning sensors with PrtgAPI. As soon as I start the PowerShell script the memory consumption on the core server is increasing dramatically. Do I make a mistake? Can I free this memory again?

After 10 Sensors the free memory on the core is going down by 5 percent

BR Thomas

automated cloning core-server memory-use sensor

Created on Oct 4, 2018 12:20:35 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Dear Thomas,

in such cases, the first question would be which PRTG version you are using. (There were memory leaks in older versions, which are closed now.)

If you employ the API to interact with PRTG, please make sure to include some delay between the API calls, to give PRTG time to finish the tasks. If you for example add a five-second delay between each call, does the memory consumption still goes up by that much?

Created on Oct 5, 2018 1:04:41 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Oct 5, 2018 1:06:22 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello

We have Version 18.3.43 running. I am using PowerShell with PrtgAPI. The process is: 1) copy the sensor 2) 30sec delay 3) activate the sensor Loop

Shall I close the server connection? Will this release the memory?

Thomas

Created on Oct 5, 2018 1:21:31 PM

Votes:

Dear Thomas,

the connection should not consume a relevant amount of memory. We however are analyzing the memory consumption of API calls in general. Some apparent leaks are not leaks, but the memory for object in question is not freed and instead kept for possible later use.

As we are working on the PRTG internals, we also look at the management of the memory. There is no quick solution, as the issue is quite complex.

Created on Oct 5, 2018 2:07:17 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Arne

In the moment the core server has only 16GB RAM. During normal operation about 32% RAM are free. When I start cloning the value is going down to 27 %.

I will try to implement the newest update, mabe this will help a bit

Thomas

Created on Oct 5, 2018 3:37:30 PM

Votes:

Dear Thomas,

the aforementioned work on API calls will take time. It could take several releases.

In this case, important questions is if each ten calls cost you another 5 percentage points, or if there is just that initial cost.

Created on Oct 5, 2018 7:04:10 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.