What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

AutoDiscovery Stopts Randomly

Votes:

Dear,

I'm trying to set up PRTG for a customer of mine, who has around 20 servers running at the moment. However, the Auto Discovery with the template that I made doesn't work very well.

It only add the sensor Ping, and in the logs it says that it found the ping sensor, and then it just stops. No more log lines are being added, that's weird.

Also when I put it the password for my WMI user on any group, it displays it as a shorter password after I save it.

Any ideas?

Regards,

prtg snmp wmi

Created on Oct 4, 2018 1:20:33 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear Sven,

regarding the WMI connection issue, please

• reboot the target computer to re-initialize the WMI interface
  • also please check if the credentials you enter are correct

Can you now get a successful WMI test using the tester, and/or get a green WMI sensor in PRTG?

Created on Oct 5, 2018 3:53:13 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear Sven,

the password in the interface is intentionally covered with a fixed mask, so that the true password length cannot be seen.

If the device template contains WMI sensors, the auto-discovery log should mention those. What happens when you, for testing, create a WMI sensor manually?

Can it be created? And does it get data?

Created on Oct 5, 2018 1:10:48 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Arno,

Okay, I was thinking about the fixed mask indeed.

When I create any sensor that uses WMI-Traffic, it stays grey. The WMI Tester gives me the error: 80070005 Acces is denied. And I can't seem to find why that is. It does get created, it just does not get any data.

My probe health sensor even went ''down'' because the WMI Delay channel peaked to 348%!

Regards,

Created on Oct 5, 2018 1:13:41 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear Sven,

regarding the WMI connection issue, please

• reboot the target computer to re-initialize the WMI interface
  • also please check if the credentials you enter are correct

Can you now get a successful WMI test using the tester, and/or get a green WMI sensor in PRTG?

Created on Oct 5, 2018 3:53:13 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.