What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

VMWARE Hardware Status Sensor Quit working

Votes:

Randomly today my VMware hardware status, host performance, and datastore sensors quick working. I get error PE002. There is a ping sensor for this device and it is working fine. We even rebooted the host and that did not help. The host is running VMware ESXi 6.0. I verified the machine that PRTG is installed on can ping the DNS name. I even tried to use the IP for the Device in PRTG. Nothing has changed on our VMware host recently. I am running PRTG version 18.3.44.2059.

esxi-host vmware-esxi vmwaresensor

Created on Oct 8, 2018 2:55:14 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Nick,

Can you verify the credentials you are using have not been changed on either side?

Can you also, check to ensure that the SOAP services are still running on the ESX host?

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Oct 8, 2018 11:49:12 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

I did check the credentials. I even with the root account. The CIM server is running on the esxi host also.

Created on Oct 8, 2018 1:34:19 PM

Votes:

Nick,

Did the error message change after you switched to the IP address of the ESX host?

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Oct 9, 2018 9:08:03 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

So these sensors started working again. I believe it was due to a problem with out antivirus. The behavorial analysis went crazy and was causing problems with applications. Once I resolved that yesterday, I noticed it came back on its own. Thank you for the suggestions.

Created on Oct 9, 2018 11:42:36 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.