What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG cluster configuration

Votes:

Hi all,

i have 2 PRTG Core server and configured all sensors on one of them. Now i try to get these sensors on the failover cluster. But the setting "send all data to all cluster nodes" is missing.

I have all sensors under "Clusternode (Master)" but under "Clusternode (Failover) is nothing.

After reading some PRTG articles i found that only Remote Probes can distribute to all Clusters.

Do i really need to install a Probe on the Core Server?

With kind regards Christopher Weber

cluster distribute failover probe

Created on Oct 9, 2018 7:01:15 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello Christopher,

Thank you for your post.

Please note that objects (sensors/devices/groups) installed on the Master server are not automatically monitored by the Failover. Only the objects on the Cluster Probe are shared within your PRTG Cluster and therefore monitored by both the Master and the Failover. Please also see this article for more information: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/clustering

So, if you want to monitor some devices by both PRTG Cluster Nodes, it is necessary to move them from the Local Probe to the Cluster Probe. Please first create new groups on the Cluster Probe; then click on the tab "Management" simply drag&drop groups/devices from the Local Probe to the Cluster Probe.

If you have Remote Probes, you can set them to connect to both Cluster nodes (if you want their sensors to be monitored from both Master and Failover).

So you don't need to (and it is not possible to) install Remote Probes on the Core.

Also, please note that some sensor types are not supported in Cluster mode (sensors which wait for data to be received). For detailed information, please see this page: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/failover_cluster_configuration

Best regards

Created on Oct 9, 2018 10:01:51 AM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

i dont exactly know what do you mean with "create new groups". I have 5 groups under the Clusterprobe:

Hauptgruppe

-> Clusterprobe (Master)
----> Gerät der Probe
----> Nordbayern
----> Ostbayern
----> Südbayern
----> Zentrale Systeme
-> Clusternode (Failover)
----> Gerät der Probe

Thats how it looks at the moment. Could it be that i accidentally delete a group on the Failover?

Can i remove the Failover and rejoin it without losing any sensors on the Master?

Created on Oct 9, 2018 12:40:29 PM

Votes:

On the Master node, you should see the Local Probe of the Master, the Cluster Probe (it is combination of the Master Local Probe and the Failover Local Probe) and the Remote Probes (if you have any).

On the Failover node, you should see the Cluster Probe and the Remote Probes (if you have any and if they are set to connect to both Cluster nodes).

If you want to monitor a device by both Cluster Nodes, you can simply move that device from the Local Probe of the Master to the Cluster Probe (you can discard the part about creating a group).

If your PRTG Cluster is messed up and you want to set it up again, you can follow this procedure: My PRTG Cluster is messed up. How can I start over?

When following the procedures described in this article, the monitoring configuration on your Master node will remain. However, any monitoring data on your Failover node will be lost.

Created on Oct 9, 2018 1:21:27 PM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.