What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

APC UPS Warning when in use

Votes:

Currently we have it setup to where our UPS Health Sensor is in warning if the run time is less than "X" amount of run time remaining but we'd like it to be in a warning state of it is in-use (when the power outage) one way to do this would be to set a warning if the remaining battery life is less than 100% but i only see the option to set it in runtime minutes remaining. The problem with this is that each of our 25 UPS's have a different max runtime so we'd have to set each individually and hope that doesn't change. Is there any easier way to set it up so that the UPS will be in a warning state if it is in use?

apc apc-ups ups

Created on Oct 17, 2018 8:21:22 PM

9 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello dylan, thank you for your KB-Post.

You'll be happy to hear that there's already a "proven" and easy-to-use solution for what you want to achieve. Please refer to:

The Basic Output/Status sensor will give you an alert as soon as the UPS leaves the On Line mode. Regardless of battery level.

Please try out the template/sensor(s) and let us know how it goes.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Oct 18, 2018 10:49:30 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Interesting, i added the APC UPS Health sensor which gives me just about all of the details that the article states except the Basic Output (Status) details. It only displays output frequency, load, and voltage. Is there anything else i need to do to be able to see those details? Thank you

Created on Oct 18, 2018 11:17:14 AM

Votes:

Hello dylan,
thank you for your reply.

Have you downloaded the custom template and performed the steps described in the KB-Post? Or are you using the built-in sensor/template? The built-in template is UPS Health (APC) template, not to be confused with the Custom APC UPS vx.x template.

If you did indeed use the custom template, but haven't got the Basic Output/Status, please share your auto-discovery log. The default path is:

C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs\debug\CoreAutoDiscovery.log

Best Regards,

Created on Oct 18, 2018 11:41:05 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

My apologies, i've misread the article and used the built-in sensor/template. I will try the custom template and see if that works. Thank you

Created on Oct 18, 2018 11:46:30 AM

Votes:

I have one question about deploying this, for step 2 in the article it states "Extract the archive to the PRTG program directory. By default, this is %Program Files (x86)%\PRTG Network Monitor\. See the Paessler Knowledge Base to learn more about how and where PRTG stores its data."

When i extract the custom template to the \Program Files x86\PRTG Network Monitor Folder do i just leave it there or does it need to be in another subfolder like the "devicetemplates" folder which is within " PRTG Network Monitor" folder? Thanks

Created on Oct 18, 2018 11:52:28 AM

Last change on Oct 18, 2018 12:27:01 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello dylan,

Yes, the instructions are right. Simply extract the zip to:

%Program Files (x86)%\PRTG Network Monitor\

There are sub-folders in the zip file (devicetemplates, lookups, MIB) and if you simply extract the whole archive all the files will end up in the correct folder.

Best Regards,

Created on Oct 18, 2018 12:35:10 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

That worked, thanks. We are getting the error:

"Warning by lookup value 'invalid Test' in channel 'Last Battery Test Status'

On about 6 of out 25 UPS' however. (We were getting this error with the other battery test sensor as well). All of the UPS are setup the same and run the same battery tests so I am unsure why i am getting this error.

Created on Oct 21, 2018 7:15:52 PM

Last change on Oct 22, 2018 5:18:26 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello dylan,

Unfortunately APC's documentation is a bit vague about this result/outcome:

upsAdvTestDiagnosticsResults OBJECT-TYPE
   SYNTAX INTEGER {
      ok(1),
      failed(2),
      invalidTest(3),
      testInProgress(4)
   }
   ACCESS read-only
   STATUS mandatory
   DESCRIPTION
      "The results of the last UPS diagnostics test performed."
   ::= { upsAdvTest 3 }

Perhaps this indicate that these devices never performed a self-test? I encourage you to schedule a self-test on these units. Afterwards the sensors should either report Ok or Failed, depending on the outcome of the self-test.

But in either case, these sensors are designed to whenever possible mimic the alerts that are displayed in the management interface of the actual UPS. So you may already spot something out of the usual just by logging-in on the management interface of these units.

Please let me know how it goes.

On a side note, please keep in mind that if this sensor is not relevant to you, you could also simply pause or delete it after the initial discovery (and keep only these sensors that you're actually interested in)

Best Regards,

Created on Oct 22, 2018 7:24:08 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Oct 22, 2018 8:30:56 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

I resolved the "Warning by lookup value 'invalid Test' in channel 'Last Battery Test Status" error by logging into the UPS Web GUI on the affected UPS (or all UPS's) and setting the Self-Test Schedule to "UPS Startup".

Created on Oct 30, 2018 12:58:45 PM

Last change on Oct 30, 2018 1:04:44 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.