What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Dell servers - Wrong chassis status

Votes:

Hi

We have multiple Dell servers in our company all same model. On one of our servers we keep getting a warning about the chassis status on that server which is wrong according to the iDrac of that server (it shows chassis - Ok). - Note we also cleared the logs from iDrac. The other weird thing is that the reading (on chassis status) is correct on PRTG (it shows ID 3- on all of the servers) yet we keep getting that alarm which is frustrating on that particular server. Has anyone faced something like this? We cannot seem to find any solution other than pause the sensor or remove ourselves from the notification tab.

Thank you.

chassis dell idrac snmp-trap

Created on Oct 30, 2018 8:43:48 AM

10 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Unfortunately, there is little PRTG or we can do. We get the data directly from the device or iDrac. Maybe you should contact the Dell Support to check why iDrac is giving these information via its management interface, but not in the webinterface.

Best regards.

Created on Oct 30, 2018 11:04:02 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello

Thank you for the quick answer. I do not think it is the Dell server but rather PRTG giving wrong indication. The ID i have on all of the "healthy" servers is : 3 which is ok according to Dell. This indication is also the same on the "faulty" server. I cannot find how to upload photos just so i can show what i mean.

Thank you

Created on Oct 30, 2018 1:11:07 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

You can upload your screenshots to any free image host, for example https://imgur.com.

Best regards.

Created on Oct 30, 2018 1:35:41 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi there,

You can upload your screenshots to any free image host, for example https://imgur.com.

Best regards.

Created on Oct 30, 2018 1:35:41 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi

I have uploaded both pics :

This is the server with the faulty indication: https://imgur.com/YXFe5si

This is the server with the correct indication: https://imgur.com/SoLOryC

Notice the IDs on both servers.

Thank you

Created on Oct 31, 2018 9:51:21 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

The "3" you have marked in the screenshots, which you interpret as the monitored values, is actually the channel id and is static. Thats the reason you see the "3" on all sensors. So the warning is still coming from the server itself, which is why the lookup displays a warning.

Best regards.

Created on Oct 31, 2018 11:11:48 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi

Thank you very much for the information. I will engage Dell then and see where this goes.

Created on Nov 1, 2018 8:51:02 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

Should they need any information or should you need any, let us know. You can also proceed via mail by sending a message to "[email protected]" and referring to this knowledge base article.

Best regards.

Created on Nov 2, 2018 6:10:36 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have the same error. Has anyone a solution? Our iDRAC showed an error, but after a restart the memory is now all green. Bes regards and thanks.

Created on Oct 16, 2019 3:05:50 PM

Votes:

Had the some issue today. I made a second Dell System Health Sensor. It came up green without any errors. Then i refreshed the old faulty one. Now it came also up with correct informations. Hope that helps

Created on Mar 12, 2021 2:12:04 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.