What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Desktop bug report.

Votes:

Hi,

I have discovered another issue id like to share with you regarding the PRTG Desktop software.

Windows 10 Enterprise 1803

When the desktop app is open and minimized to the system tray - when my machine locks itself and/or wakes up from sleep - the desktop app will not reconnect to the server automatically. Even clicking the refresh button doesnt wake it back up. Just sits there saying "Could not connect"

Have to close the app down and reopen it to establish a connection again.

Becasue the system tray icon is there though its hard to know if its working or not, a few instances i was expecting warnings and down notifications from it - but it never because it hadnt reconnected itself.

Thanks

prtg prtg-desktop prtg-network-monitor

Created on Oct 30, 2018 3:24:07 PM

9 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

This is a known issue and will be addressed as soon as we can, please stay tuned. :)

Best regards.

Created on Nov 2, 2018 7:59:58 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Last change on Nov 2, 2018 8:00:03 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This issue still remains, the original post was created October 2018, almost a year and no fix? any expected date of resolution?

Created on Sep 18, 2019 9:30:44 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

From the development ticket it seems to got released around new year. So from our side the issue is fixed.

The main issue is that we have little to no requests to this, at least not anymore. We were also never able to replicate the issue.

Best regards.

Created on Sep 19, 2019 7:28:02 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The issue is most definitely not fixed. Any time I start my laptop up when it's not connected to the network, or when it loses network connectivity, PRTG Desktop disconnects from the server and never reconnects, even when the network connection is restored. Even worse, I can't find a way to tell PRTG Desktop to disconnect and reconnect.

For the most part, I find PRTG Desktop to be an improvement over PRTG Enterprise, but it's always had niggling issues some of which have never been addressed or resolved.

Created on Dec 16, 2019 11:06:31 PM

Votes:

Hello Robert,

This issue appears to be re-occurring, I'm afraid. Allow me to make our developers aware of it to have another look into this issue. Please excuse the inconvenience caused and bear with us.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Dec 17, 2019 12:16:13 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

OP here with an update...

It was fixed for a good while - but i concur its not reconnecting again now.

Think i started to notice it again not from the last desktop update but from the update before that

Created on Dec 17, 2019 12:35:08 PM

Votes:

Hi ftl,

I also tend to say that it is a new bug. I talked to our developers yesterday and they will have a look into it.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Dec 18, 2019 5:57:54 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

As of 2021-2023 this issue seems to still exist. I noticed this a couple years ago in 2021 when my home network would not auto connect randomly. Now my company has decided to go to an always-on non-split VPN which causes the PRTG desktop app to not see the network on its auto-startup until I login, and the issue happens every day. I have to kill the task and restart the app. This has been going on for multiple full number versions I believe. If I uncheck auto-startup and then manually start the app AFTER I connect to the network, I have no issue. If this could run as a service I could set a startup delay and that might fix it for me, but it doesn't explain why it always hangs when non initial network is available. I am a newer desktop app user, but a VERY long time PRTG user, going back to 2010.

Created on Jun 22, 2023 11:51:29 AM

Votes:

Im the OP many moons ago to this.

Still to this day it happens - the app says cant connect when waking up or upon startup.

But if i click the icon in the system tray it has actually connected so its a false alert pop up - i just live with it now and the bong sound with the alert pop up is now just part of the noises that WIndows makes when its starting up :)

Created on Jun 23, 2023 2:11:28 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.