What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Notification When Computer Is Off Or Has No Internet Connection

Votes:

I run two amateur radio systems that provide 24/7 message server access to users via radio. I need a way to be notified when I lose my internet connection or if my computer shuts down for some reason. I tried using a service to monitor my IP address but it doesn't work very well. For one, my IP address is dynamic so I have to update the service occasionally. Also my network is a bit complicated (modem bridged to a router and then to a range extender to this PC) so this method just doesn't work well. I can lose the internet through the extender and not get a notification.

Can PRTG or some other service do what I'm looking for? I tried PRTG once but I was getting all kinds of notifications about things I didn't need to know about.

Thanks, Chris

no-internet prtg shut-down

Created on Oct 31, 2018 1:41:21 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Chris

Do you have any cloud or remote datacenter infrastructure? If so I would recommend you run a PRTG instance out of the cloud. You can do this, and then put a remote probe on your machine that would connect back to the cloud. This way, you can monitor different metrics about the machine, as well as get alerting if the machine goes down.

Also, you can look into our PRTG Hosted Monitor service at https://www.paessler.com/prtg-hosted-monitor. We do the hosting for you, you pay a monthly fee. No contracts, and you cancel anytime.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Nov 1, 2018 11:07:34 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Last change on Feb 10, 2021 2:34:59 PM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Votes:

Thanks for the reply. No, I don't have any cloud infrastructure or anything like that.

Thanks for the link to the my-prtg service. I wouldn't mind paying a little bit, but the cost there is way out of my price range. This is something I do as a volunteer. Although it is somewhat important I can't justify that kind of an expense.

Chris

Created on Nov 2, 2018 5:19:40 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.