What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Share your notification templates!

Votes:

Hi,

I'm curious how everyone has solved their notification templates. Currently configuring a network for a customer of mine, and I was wondering how others have created their templates.

Who's down to share it with me? I might be able to get a good idea from yours!

Thanks.

notificitation share template

Created on Nov 1, 2018 3:46:45 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

What exactly do you mean?

• we have regular E-Mail notification that go to our mailboxes - but rules actually sort them out within the team - they are more like a log
  • we have Slack notifications - the modification was posted somewhere in this KB as well as here: https://www.it-admins.com/674-2/
    • slack helps us to communicate actively on things - we get those 24 hours and have instant chat communication on it in case we need too... avoids a lot of confusion for us..
  • we use Text 2 Speech and use the NOC TV as speaker for those alerts - it's instant ALERTING and BACK TO NORMAL messages - when the TV starts talking a lot it actually tells us there is something really going on - but we try to prevent that and barely hear it doing it's job... https://www.it-admins.com/using-powershell-for-text-to-speech/

That would be it for those templates - of course they are partly configured in a way that at least intervals needs to have an error state etc. before they get send out.. but for the most part that's it.

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Nov 1, 2018 9:57:40 PM

Votes:

Sounds good Florian.

I was mainly looking for more original ideas like yours, to get alerted by PRTG of the status of my network. Currently, I'm only using e-mails and app notifications and would like to use some more variety in notifications.

Such as, indeed, text-to-speech. Thanks!

Does anyone have any other ideas? For example, does anyone have anything configured with lights for display? Was wondering if I could use Philips Hue lights to display the status of my network.

Thanks.

Created on Nov 2, 2018 8:21:30 AM

Votes:

There is a PRTG Blog entry about how to create a traffic light beacon - we thought about it several times - there are also vendors that sell those red/yellow/green beacons with ethernet / LAN ports - so you could fire notifications on them...

Here are a few links:

Created on Nov 2, 2018 1:40:25 PM

Last change on Nov 2, 2018 1:56:29 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Bump, would like to see more creative solutions!

Created on Nov 15, 2018 3:57:10 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.