What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Cloning of the Devices.

Votes:

Hello!

What happening when i make a clone one of my Device? It same as create new device or clone connect to original somehow? Why clones are paused with comment "Pause by Parent"? They has Dependencies to it Original? Or they are independent?

clone device prtg

Created on Nov 6, 2018 9:21:20 AM

4 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Vasily,

A cloned device is basically a new device that contains the same sensors as the original device it was cloned from, that's why you get a dialogue that allows you entering a new name and ip/hostname for the clone. The sensors on the cloned device are paused and need to be resumed, it is intended to be that way.

Please find also here more details about cloning objects in PRTG.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Nov 6, 2018 1:27:38 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

is there a way to clone multiple devices at the same time and have the cloned device keep the same name and IP address?

Created on Apr 23, 2020 11:31:31 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

By default this is not possible here. Please let me know why you need this function, since I wouldn't recommend it. Having multiple identical devices will just lead to a higher load for the PRTG server and the targeted device.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Apr 23, 2020 3:29:25 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

having the option to copy for example Sensors without changing the name would be nessesary. if you just have to clone a few Sensosrs it is possible to change the names afterwrd. But I would need to copy 150 Sensors which takes ages to rename one by one. especially because the UI is a bit sluggish.

Created on Jun 4, 2020 6:09:11 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.