What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Vmotion with Soap Vmware Virtual Machine sensor

Votes:

My vmware hosts are upper level groups, and then I have sensors related to each host under them. One is the VMS on that host. I noticed they do not take kindly to being vmotioned. I have read that to make it work, I need too add vcenter, and add all my VMs under that, so that when I vmotion they are not shown as down in PRTG. (but the KB was back in 2015 I believe). I assumed that when the group was refreshed or "check now" after a vmotion, it would detect the move. I would like to keep the design as I have it, but if there is not a workaround or fix, then I will not be able to.

Is the only fix to have them all in one location under vcenter?

vcenter virtual-machine-sensor vmotion

Created on Nov 7, 2018 5:03:37 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello Stacie,

You need to query the vCenter for this, there is no way around. When querying the ESXi, it has no knowledge about the vm to which host it was moved and the "virtual machine object" as such does no longer exist on it, therefor it cannot provide data anymore for it.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Nov 8, 2018 10:49:28 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you, I was thinking the "check now" function in PRTG would actually query the host and rediscover the VMS and where they should be but I now also know, that PRTG is not capable of removing devices on its own, which is what it would be doing during a move sort of. Its somewhat misleading, because the sensor description says "monitors virtual machines on a vmware host server" when in actuality it monitors virtual machines tied into a vcenter. I tried to set it up under a vcenter device, and have tried 3 different full admins of said server, and even tried the domain admin, but it is saying I don't have permissions. So I am back to just adding the vms as their own devices and pick the sensors I need for each.

Created on Nov 8, 2018 2:21:06 PM

Votes:

Hello Stacie,

Technically the sensor queries data for the so-called MOID (Managed Object ID) and this MOID no longer exists on the host when it was moved (the MOID is also shown in the settings of a sensor after it was created).

When you use the vCenter as device, credentials need to be most likely different ones, usually for the vCenter they're like "domain\user". Do you have credentials to login to vCenter using vSphere? Try those in PRTG.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Nov 8, 2018 2:33:54 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Excellent!!! The [email protected] is the username that worked! Thank you times 1 million :-)

Created on Nov 8, 2018 2:43:49 PM

Votes:

Great, you're welcome, Stacie.

Created on Nov 8, 2018 2:47:56 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.