What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Unable to create Active Directory Replication Errors sensor

Votes:

When I try creating an Active Directory Replication Errors sensor on my domain controllers I get the dreaded Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED)) error.

So I figured it's some issue with WMI permissions or something. However, other WMI sensor types like Windows Uptime are working without a hitch on this system. The probe is joined in the domain I'm adding the sensor in, it has .NET 3.5 and 4.6 enabled through Server Manager, has credentials in the domain, and is a Windows Server 2016 OS. The target system is also a Windows Server 2016.

We are however stuck on 16.2.23.3270 and not able to upgrade.

What are some things that I can verify/rectify to get this sensor type working?

active-directory-replication prtg wmi wmi-error wmi-sensors

Created on Nov 9, 2018 8:39:35 AM

6 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Could you try to use the sensor together with a full Domain Administrator instead of a limited user? Does the sensor work afterwards?

Best regards.

Created on Nov 9, 2018 12:32:36 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Dariusz, thanks for getting back to me.

The service user being used was already a member of the Domain Admins groups. However, upon you request I entered the credentials of another priviliged user directly on the server and this worked.

Upon further investigation I turns out the user was incorrectly defined. It was configured like this domain: <null> username:domain\srv-account instead of domain: domain username: srv-account.

I rectified this and was able to add the sensor without any problems now.

Created on Nov 9, 2018 2:42:18 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Great to hear that it was that easy to fix it. :)

Best regards.

Created on Nov 9, 2018 3:01:45 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi there I lost a lot of time in troubleshooting because of a similar issue:

"Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))

The cause of the issue in the end was not the permission on Domain level (Domain Admin and Domain user should be enough), it simply was a special caracter in the password. I changed the special caracter in the password and afterwards it worked....

Created on Mar 2, 2022 2:14:21 PM

Votes:

I have the same problem, I have 3 domain controllers, the sensor working fine on two of them, but on the third one it didn't work, using the same username and password

When I test on DC03

C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Sensor System>ADSReplFailuresXML.exe

Starting WMI Query 'select SourceDsaCN from MSAD_ReplNeighbor'
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><prtg><error>1</error><text>Access is deni
ed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))</text></prtg>

Press any key to continue

When I run on DC02 and DC01

C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Sensor System>ADSReplFailuresXML.exe

Starting WMI Query 'select SourceDsaCN from MSAD_ReplNeighbor'
Finished WMI Query 'select SourceDsaCN from MSAD_ReplNeighbor'
DC03,DC02

Created on Nov 8, 2022 8:57:09 PM

Last change on Nov 9, 2022 6:47:39 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Generally, the error code 80070005 means that the Domain Controller or the local Windows system could not verify the credentials for the target computer.

Please have a look at this article for a detailed explanation of these WMI errors: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/1073-what-are-the-most-common-errors-when-monitoring-wmi

However, as these messages appeared just once in your case, and then disappeared, then they might be caused by one of the following factors:

- Too many WMI requests running at the same time (although this probe shouldn't be overloaded in terms of WMI), - WMI requests attempted on a device with wrong or missing credentials, e.g. due to some automatic processes / features in PRTG, like auto-discovery, "Sensor recommendation" or "System Information". If you have any of the two latter features enabled, but don't need it, you can disable it: in the device tree please go to Root level -> Settings -> scroll down to the bottom to "Advanced Network Analysis". - Sometimes our customers report such random / sporadic WMI messages, but they are not coming from PRTG (PRTG only reports the error the Windows System has encountered).

Please note that WMI is a very "heavy" protocol and it places a disproportionately high load on a monitoring server - this isn't something unique to PRTG, all monitoring software suffers the same problem because WMI is not a very efficient protocol. Additionally, there are countless errors in Microsoft's WMI implementation, and there are no definite fixes for each error, so we can only gather a collection of tips to try.

I can understand that you were concerned if you have never seen such errors in the past, but please be assured that they are normal when using WMI. If you see them only sporadically, there is really nothing to worry about. However, if WMI errors start occurring often, please let us know and send us fresh log files again (from the core and the affected probe), and we will help you to optimize WMI monitoring.

We can better assist you on this case if you can open a support case to [email protected] and we will be more than happy to assist you

Created on Nov 11, 2022 5:00:09 PM by  Ricardo Sanchez [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.