What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sensor Numbers overtime growth

Votes:

Hi, i've a PRTG console licensed, and with many probes installed. Now, what I'm looking for, is a solution for monitoring and reporting sensor number during probe life; I'm not interested on a mail notification if sensor number exceeds N sensors, but just a graph that show me that.

It's possible to do that, or I have to use API to do that?

Thank you!

growth historic-data sensors

Created on Nov 9, 2018 7:19:07 PM

4 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi there,

That would be possible. Please follow these steps to achieve this:

• Add a new device with the Connection Address set to the IP/DNS-Name of the Core Server
  • Add a new REST Custom Sensor to this device
  • Use the following URL and replace "<PROBEID>", "<USERNAME>" and "<PASSHASH>"
/api/table.json?content=sensorxref&noraw=1&filter_basetype=probe&columns=totalsens=textraw,upsens=textraw,downsens=textraw,partialdownsens=textraw,warnsens=textraw,pausedsens=textraw,unusualsens=textraw,undefinedsens=textraw,downacksens=textraw&username=<USERNAME>&passhash=<PASSHASH>&id=<PROBEID>
  • Select under "REST Configuration" the "prtg-sensor-stats.template"-Template

The "<PROBEID>" is the ID of the probe. This can be retrieved from the URL when the Probe-Group of a remote probe is opened. Example URL:

https://my-supercool-prtg/probenode.htm?id=12345&tabid=1

The Probe-ID here would be "123456".
The "<USERNAME>" and "<PASSHASH>" can be retrieved from a user or your own user under "Setup > Account Settings > My Account". There you find the username and with a click on "Show Passhash" you reveal the passhash.

Best regards.

Created on Nov 12, 2018 7:59:01 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, thank you very much, is working. Just a information, how I can fix sensor description name? if I go inside sensor to have access to graphs, I see a list of sensor statistic with name similar to this one:

$["sensorxref"]["0"]["downacksens"]

There is a fix to show normally?

thank you

Created on Nov 20, 2018 2:02:33 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

The channels should already have proper names. What version of PRTG are you using? Could you check the "prtg-sensor-stats.template"-file on the Core Server under "C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Custom Sensors\rest\" to see if there is a ""channel": "Down (Acknowledged)"," in it?

Best regards.

Created on Nov 20, 2018 2:11:58 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Sorry, my mistake, I've check and during sensor installation I had not selected "prtg-sensor-stats.template". I've just deleted and configured again a sensor and now all its working

thank you very much

have a nice day

Created on Nov 20, 2018 2:17:55 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.