What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sonicwall SNMPv3 with PRTG

Votes:

I can not get PRTG to connect to my Sonicwall Firewall using SNMPv3.

I've configured the MD5 Authentication Key and AES Privacy Key the same on the device and the monitor. I've attempted it with using the Sonicwall Engine ID as the context name, and without a context name but that did not help.

firewall snmpv3 sonicwall

Created on Nov 12, 2018 3:51:16 PM

Last change on Nov 14, 2018 6:13:06 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello there,
we appreciate your contact.

The context name should only be necessary if you have multiple virtual routers or firewalls. In most cases, working with a blank context name is enough.

I encourage you to download our latest SNMP Tester, run it on the PRTG Host (or host of the Remote Probe), and perform the "Read Device Uptime" test against the target device, it will allow you to easily test different credential combinations.

Once you've confirmed the correct SNMP V3 credentials, enter them in PRTG. Due to an existing bug/issue in PRTG I strongly advise you to restart the "PRTG Probe Service" on the relevant PRTG Probe after updating or configuring SNMP V3 credentials in PRTG.

Please let me know how it goes.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Nov 14, 2018 6:16:07 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.