What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Notifications on WhatsApp?

Votes:

Hi,

Title says all.

Is it possible to receive notifications regarding my PRTG network on my WhatsApp? Preferably in a groupschat, (grouplink?).

Thanks!

notifications prtg whatsapp

Created on Nov 13, 2018 1:37:54 PM

10 Replies

Votes:

Well - yes and no. You would need something like probably WhatsApp Business or another 3rd party solution that would act as an proxy to inject the messages.

In any case - this will cost you money and I don't see it as a good and reliable solution.

If you want to have messages in a communication / chat system - there are two things that I can suggest:

• Slack
  • Microsoft Teams

Slack is available for free and Microsoft Teams depending on a few factors as well free or probably included in your licensing model.

Slack would have the advantage of being independent of your Office 365 environment - what is good for notifications - but not and advantage for user-management.

Those two have free APIs where you can inject messages.

Both can be used on computers as well as smartphones and tablets - even without a SIM card / phone number.

This would be a more proper implementation then WhatsApp - it allows collaboration and works very similar while being a real cloud-based chat platform.

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Nov 13, 2018 2:57:45 PM

Votes:

Hi Florian,

Thanks for your reply.

Considering WhatsApp is very popular in our country and is used as the main text communication app, it is something we use to communicate privately. We would like to get WhatsApp messages from a WhatsApp number with the errors my network is getting.

If that means I will have to pay for a third party app, that is fine. We are not considering using Slack or Teams, because it would not work for us, because we don't need it. We communicate over WhatsApp, and that is good enough...

Would like to see if anyone has any other ideas, or perhaps experience with this question.

Kind Regards,

Sven

Created on Nov 14, 2018 8:34:51 AM

Last change on Nov 28, 2018 6:16:44 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Bump, would still like to see a solution to this. Got more into this topic today and found out it's hard to do with the Whatsapp's private business API.

Should still be possible though, any ideas? Would gladly like to see them!

Kind Regards,

Sven

Created on Nov 15, 2018 4:01:25 PM

Votes:

Well - as mentioned, the WhatsApp Business part has a API for this. Checking their website rather briefly, all I found is that I would need to sign up for it. They seem to keep the whole documentation rather hidden.

In this specific case I can't help you much - unless I sign up for it to get at least the manual to understand how they work it.

They likely will have a REST API through invoked web-requests that include an authentication API. Since it is a business API they might charge so you are able to use it.

I understand you want this - but the hurdles you have to go through to get it are really high and I still don't see the value in it personally - but I am not speaking to the Paessler/PRTG support. They might have different thoughts on it and be able to chime in and come up with a solution????

Regards Florian

Created on Nov 27, 2018 3:30:16 PM

Votes:

Hello svenvandorst,
thank you for your reply.

There are no plans of supporting Whatsapp notification at the moment. The main reason behind this being, that 3rd party clients are not allowed on the platform at the moment. You might want to search for it:

The newly introduced concept of Whatsapp for Business (that Florian mentioned) might indeed be a possible solution/approach. But we haven't investigated it yet.

And if you really need to use Whatsapp, this is absolutely possible by using an Notification Template with the Execute Program action. There's plenty of command-line Whatsapp clients that you can use. We've even seen this working, but since Whatsapp itself doesn't endorse this type of solution, there's no way of knowing how long it will/can work.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Nov 28, 2018 6:30:42 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello!

Any updates with WhatsApp? Where i can find instruction for setting WhatsApp?

Created on Apr 17, 2019 2:32:02 PM

Votes:

Vasiliy, there are no plans / nor instructions for WhatsApp notifications from PRTG. Sorry.

Created on Apr 17, 2019 2:44:29 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This post is rather old, but just to throw my two cents in, Whatsapp is a widely used messaging platform and yes it has it's conveniences, but given the amount of work you would have to go through to get it set up and still not be sure of it's long term functionality doesn't make it very viable. But i would suggest you weigh the pros and cons.

For another option, have you thought of trying out Telegram? i use it in the office integrated into PRTG which was comparatively quite easy. i also have the added advantage where i can create a Channel for notifications which prevents unwanted chatter, but it has the option to couple it with a discussion group if you need to talk about specific notifications. Compared to Whatsapp i find Telegram more flexible and customizable. Documentation is easily available online as well.

Email notifications are another option you could use, or SMS.

Created on Feb 16, 2020 4:31:56 AM

Votes:

Buenas tardes,

La verdad que si es posible realizar una integracion en la cual te pueda alertar mediante la mensajeria a un grupo, no se den por vencido.

Saludos

Good afternoon,

The truth is that if it is possible to make an integration in which you can be alerted via messaging to a group, do not give up.

Regards

Created on Jan 13, 2023 11:01:50 PM

Last change on Jan 16, 2023 7:25:22 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, thanks for your comment. Unfortunately, there are still no plans to introduce notifications for WhatsApp at this time.

Created on Jan 18, 2023 3:18:01 PM by  Mike Payne [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.