What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Network interface sensor properties.

Votes:

Hello!

I have a lot of cisco devices connected to my PRTG, my boss ask me - can PRTG answer how current channel width?

For ex. if i have a network interface connected to my provider, i need to understand what channel speed (maximum speed) at this channel is? Can PRTG do this? How? I understand that i can load channel at maximum and see what maximum speed is, but can we do this on PRTG sensors? Can we understand what maximum interface speed is?

Thank you!

channel-speed network-interface-sensor prtg

Created on Nov 14, 2018 12:35:41 PM

Last change on Nov 26, 2018 8:09:57 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Vasiliy,

When you create an SNMP Traffic Sensor it will show which max. speed (100MB/1GB etc.) is reported for this device, see "Speed Column" when adding an SNMP Traffic Sensor.

This is the bandwidth read from the device by SNMP (ifSpeed or ifHighSpeed). Now what we can't tell from what you described so far is whether or not this becomes visible in the reported ifSpeed for an interface, when the ISP throttles the bandwidth (with some software maybe).

You could measure the current bandwidth as well using an HTTP Advanced Sensor that is configured to download some file from the internet and show you the bandwidth.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Nov 26, 2018 8:28:16 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Votes:

What do you mean with a channel?

A Cisco router / switch would have interfaces like Gi1/0/1 etc... each interface can have various speeds - they are normally auto-negotiated, unless you set them manually. Those speeds can be determined via SNMP and therefor available to PRTG. https://blog.paessler.com/monitoring-cisco-devices-with-prtg-dedicated-sensors-1

If you mean the utilization of the connection e.g. to your provider through e.g. an Cisco ASA Firewall - you can engage Netflow for this. PRTG supports Netflow and many Cisco devices do so as well. This way you can see the load, partly even put in to categories and the source respective target of that load on your interface as well as direction. https://www.paessler.com/netflow_monitoring

Hope I pointed you in the right direction, if not - can you try to explain on another example what exactly you want to see?

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Nov 14, 2018 2:50:30 PM

Votes:

Little more details: for ex. we take ISP with RJ45 port at the end. We have two types of speed on this port, first - hardware limited (on device), for ex. 100 Mb\s or 1 Gb\s, second - software limited, for ex. ISP sell Internet on 1 Mb\s maximum speed on this port. Can PRTG somehow understand that port limited at 1 Mb\s and if ISP change speed to 10 Mb\s or 512 Kb\s send a notofication? How can i solve this task?

Created on Nov 16, 2018 8:16:43 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Vasiliy,

When you create an SNMP Traffic Sensor it will show which max. speed (100MB/1GB etc.) is reported for this device, see "Speed Column" when adding an SNMP Traffic Sensor.

This is the bandwidth read from the device by SNMP (ifSpeed or ifHighSpeed). Now what we can't tell from what you described so far is whether or not this becomes visible in the reported ifSpeed for an interface, when the ISP throttles the bandwidth (with some software maybe).

You could measure the current bandwidth as well using an HTTP Advanced Sensor that is configured to download some file from the internet and show you the bandwidth.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Nov 26, 2018 8:28:16 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.