What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring two devices one same network by name

Votes:

I have a unique case where I need to monitor one carrier gateway device, while at the same time, monitoring another devices from another carrier/security company. The problem is, the carrier is not going down, the security company is. The security company uses a Cisco router, while the carrier has their standard gateway. However, currently, we monitor the security company's equipment not the carrier's, so I must first call the carrier to verify if the circuit is working or not, then, call the security company if the carrier circuit is up.

We are kind of in the middle of a debate between the security company and our company because they believe it's the carrier going down all the time (which it's not). Basically, I CAN monitor both the carrier equipment and the security but, I cannot name them to distinguish between the to (I have to go by IP) and the script I wrote will show one sensor alarming but it will be a -1 which PRTG does not like.

I hope this made sense. If someone has an idea for a script, or a solution I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you.

help historic-data logs naming script

Created on Nov 22, 2018 3:26:16 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi Jonathan,

To be honest with you, I have no clue what issue you have or what the actual question is.

Do you want to monitor two devices with the same hostname on the same network?
What does the script do and what is the output?

Best regards.

Created on Nov 23, 2018 12:12:48 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.