What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Web server is slowing down login attempts (Protective measure)

Votes:

I have read other post and they have not given me a solution. 2018-12-03 12:33:55 10.20.9.20 "anonymous-prtgadmin-login_failed" 10.20.9.20 443 POST /api/getstatus.htm login=prtgadmin&passhash=*&id=0 200 "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; PRTG Network Monitor Enterprise Console; Windows)"

the users is anonymous-prtg. The IP address is to the PRTG server I have logged on to the Enterprise Console as prtgadmin with no issues. It has been 2 hours and I am still seeing the error in my logs. I inherited PRTG and I am not familiar with the anonymous-prtgadmin user. I have looked at the list of user but did not find anonymous.

Any ideas or suggestions. I have read the post https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/25523-what-is-overload-protection#reply-194984.

anonymous enterprise-console logs overload-protection

Created on Dec 3, 2018 9:00:10 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello Luis,

Are there any other user accounts logged onto the PRTG host server and started the Enterprise Console. You'd need to close these instances as well then.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Dec 4, 2018 12:36:35 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 4, 2018 1:04:06 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, Felix, There are no other users logged on to the Host server and open the Enterprise Console. when I view the Logs (Web Server) log, anonymous-prtgadmin-login_failed is the only logon that fails. It fails with the Host IP address. I am trying to understand why I see anonymous sometimes working with other commands and others fail. Most of the failures are when it does /api/getstatus.htm

Like is said before, I inherited this application and I am still learning.

thanks for your help, Luis

Created on Dec 4, 2018 2:10:27 PM

Votes:

Hello Luis,

The Enterprise Console performs different API calls to receive the data from the core server. If you open the Task Manager, click on the "details" tab and search for the PRTG Enterprise Console, do you see the process running.

If it's not listed there, it might also be caused by an IP conflict when the IP address 10.20.9.20 is used by two different machines in the same network. Otherwise, these log entries shouldn't appear anymore. The logs confirm that they are sent from the Enterprise Console.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Dec 5, 2018 12:32:37 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.