What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Packet Loss (%) channel Notification Triggers - Threshold Calculation

Votes:

I have setup a Threshold Trigger on a ping sensor as follows:

Threshold Trigger When Packet Loss (%) channel is Above 0.5 for at least 600 seconds, perform Email Network Alerts

So over a period of 10 min if the packet loss is over 0.5% it will send a notification.

My question is. Does this automatically calculate the average over the period of 10 min over all pings?

notifications ping-sensor threshold

Created on Dec 6, 2018 5:21:33 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello there,

PRTG notification triggers are not calculating any averages here.

Triggers are always set for specific Sensors. If they are configured in a group they will be inherited to the the Sensors below. For your example it means the following:

If one ping Sensor that inherits this trigger stays 10 min above a packet loss of 0.5% it will send a notification.

Please let me know if this clarifies the behavior.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Dec 6, 2018 5:13:21 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks Birk,

This trigger as its set on a specific channel is specified on the sensor itself and not a group.

I can see the PRTG can and does calculate averages for example when you look at the live data graph it shows that averages of all the values.

So how would be go about notifying packet loss of over 0.5% (loss) over an average of 10 min period for a specific ping sensor?

Created on Dec 7, 2018 4:29:10 AM

Votes:

Hello,

That's correct, the data tabs display averages of all of their values. But it is not possible to use averages for a notification trigger.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Dec 10, 2018 5:17:38 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Can't configure the packet loss in a group, packet loss only available in specific ping sensors. Is there a way to configure in the group and to be inherited to the sensors below?

Created on Jan 5, 2021 3:38:33 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.