What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sensor with summary data

Votes:

Good day!

If I understand correctly, in PRTG I can create a status element on the map for a single sensor, for a device or for a group.

If I create an element for one sensor, when it changes it will become a different color. If I create an element for a device or group, it will have several icons, indicating the number of normal sensors, erroneous, stopped, etc.

Is it possible to create a sensor that will analyze several other sensors and, depending on their state, according to a certain logic will be either normal or erroneous? It should be exactly one sensor that will have only one icon.

On my map there will be many small groups of objects and I don't have the opportunity to display them all. For each group, one common sensor is needed - one small icon.

Thanks!

logic prtg sensor

Created on Dec 7, 2018 1:29:45 PM

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

You can challenge this in many ways - but since you talk about some kind of logic - you might wanna look at this one:

https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/sensor_factory_sensor

It allows you do collect and process data.

If that does not help - creating manual libraries and using those with the rather new donuts objects in the maps might be something as well.

Further could you think about various maps - like one master map and then various maps that dive deeper and deeper in those groups to show more details...

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Dec 10, 2018 3:00:01 PM

Votes:

Thank you Florian! :)

I would just add that in some cases the Business Process sensor can be useful for this purpose.

Best regards

Created on Dec 11, 2018 6:30:55 PM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you Florian! Fine! This is exactly what I need!

The "business process" sensor was ideally suited for my task, it was referenced in the article. But the option that you offer is also very interesting, be sure to use it!

Best wishes!

Created on Dec 26, 2018 2:40:59 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.