What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Execute Program for Notifications

Votes:

I am having an issue setting up a Notification that for our numeric pager. I have tried to different possible solutions. The first I tried was we have a SMS number which is our pager [email protected]. When I enter this in as an email address from outlook it pages me. So I tried to enter this within PRTG7 and I get an email error. I can get other email notifications to myself and other members of my team, but for some reason this errors. Any Ideas why that might fail?

The second thing I tried is a set up a batch file. This is a very simple batch file that when executed launches a dialer program which then uses the modem to dial the pager. It only requires one file to execute the process. When I double click on the batch file to run it it works as expected. However, when I moved it to the notification folder along with the executable file it needs to run, PRTG does not execute the batch file.

I an article in the knowledge base that said the PRTG Server and Probe Core services could not use the local server credentials. So I changed them to our domain admin credentials which have admin rights on the machine. Any other suggestions as to why this might not work?

custom-notification notifications prtg sms

Created on Aug 27, 2010 5:58:52 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Please keep in mind that your PRTG Server runs as a service and cannot interact with the desktop.

This also reflects on notifications, if your batch file starts a program that has a GUI it will simply not run.

There is a way around this using PTF Launcher.

Please have a look at KB article: PRTG and PsExec (topic 9663)

Created on Aug 30, 2010 2:58:21 PM

Votes:

The batch is not starting a GUI, the program is a exe that launchs a dos based program. This program is full automated, and require no user interaction. Would that still count as a GUI?

Created on Aug 30, 2010 3:33:09 PM

Votes:

Could you provide some more details? How does the batch file look like, what exe is executed by the batch?

Created on Aug 30, 2010 6:15:23 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.