What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

use gyroscope to reproduce alert

Votes:

I want to buy a USB gyro and connect it to the machine. When a sensor is down, the gyroscope will light up. How do I do that?

alerting alerts prtg

Created on Dec 12, 2018 2:17:16 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

A gyroscope that will light up? Do you mean a beacon? A gyroscope doesn't produce light - but I might be mistaken.

What you can do is use a custom notification script - e.g. a PowerShell or CMD/Batch file. Then it depends on where the device is connected - if this is the PRTG server it is easy - if not - you need to cause the script execute a command on a remote machine.

Further do you need a way to control the USB device from a command window - either PowerShell or DOS.

If you can do that - then you can use custom NOTIFICATIONS to turn the device on or off.

If not - it depends on how the device is controlled.

There might be a way to accomplish this - but it really depends on the USB device - this will limit you.

If possible - I would look for a LAN/Ethernet based device - that would allow you do control it remotely. This allows you to put it where you want and control it centrally.

Paessler had a nice blog about building your own beacon. I didn't find that one right now - but this is also helpful: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/63761-how-can-i-get-a-visible-notification-when-a-sensor-goes-down

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Dec 12, 2018 3:05:15 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.