What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Visual Representation of Total Switch Bandwidth Usage

Votes:

Hello,

I'm very new to PRTG, having switched over from SpiceWorks Network Monitor, and I was wondering if there was a way to create a visual representation of sensor data for a switch (i.e. either text showing total In/Out, bar graph).

I've got an SNMP sensor monitoring all active ports and can see individual values for those ports, but I would like a total value.

I appreciate your time and knowledge. Thank you!

prtg-network-monitor sensor snmp

Created on Dec 13, 2018 7:07:36 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

If you want to summarize all ports in to a single graph - even a single bar (calculation) - this is possible with the Business Process sensor or the Sensor Factory Sensor (prob. your better choice).

But let me ask you this - what advantage do you hope to gain from this?

More interesting to me would be:

• CPU utilization of the switch
  • main ports like trunk-ports to the next or core switch
  • ports towards routers / firewalls

This would give you more insight - and those graphs should already exist.

Use MAPs to create overviews and how things work together - keep em lean and clean but add some graphs - and you will see how your components work together and probably even gain insight where bottlenecks originate at certain points in time.

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Dec 14, 2018 2:31:07 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.