What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring High Availability Clusters

Votes:

We have an active/active pair of servers on site that we currently monitor. During the working day I am happy to receive an alert if there is a problem with either.

Outside of working hours I only want to receive an alert if both servers are down, as 1 server would be able to handle the traffic until the problem can be resolved the next day.

Is there any way of monitoring to facilitate this?

Thanks

alerts high-availability monitoring

Created on Jan 3, 2019 1:35:35 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Gareth,

Yes, you would need to implement two methods here. The first is a schedule for the existing sensors to only alert you during the time you want to be alerted on the separate devices. This will allow you to turn on and off the alerting for the existing sensors, and also the new sensors you will create.

Scheduling

Now as for the new sensors you will create, this is where we will leverage our Business Process Sensor. This sensor allows you to take multiple objects in PRTG, combine them into a single channel, and then put a failure percentage on said channel for when it would go down. So in your case, you can create sensors for all the different facets you are currently monitoring on each member that would contain the mirrored sensors.

Business Process Sensor manual page
How can I use the Business Process Sensor?

Example

Say you're monitoring Ping, CPU, Memory, Disk, and a service on each member.

In the Business Process Sensor, you would create a channel called Ping that would be comprised of each ping sensor from both servers. The same would apply to CPU, Memory, Disk and service. For each one you would put an error threshold of 0%, meaning if the up percentage drops to 0%, set this channel to a down state. This would only occur if both servers experienced a failure for said channel.

So if the ping dropped for both servers, this channel would go into a down state, and trigger whichever notification trigger you assign to it.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Jan 4, 2019 6:07:13 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.