What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Port name template doesn't seem to work

Votes:

I'm trying to monitor all configured VPN connections in our Barracuda CloudGen Firewall. There are +100 of them, so it would be nice if things run as automatically as possible. Ideally would be, of course, a periodically scan of all configured vpn-connections, and adding or deleting them from PRTG, but manually adding or removing one at the time is acceptable.

Since PRTG doesn't contain any sensors for Barracuda products, I had to import the MIB manually and change the incorrectly created ovl lookup file, which resulted in showing 'down'-states as 'OK'. That is now solved.

I've come to the point where I can add all the VPN-state sensors in one action using the SNMP library feature. Before adding them, I can select which VPNs to add. At that point, the names are pretty clear, like: "vpn tunnels: IPSEC-OfficeAMS-192.168.99.0-..." but after adding them, the name of the sensor changes briefly in: "Table(vpn tunnels: IPSEC-Office...): [tablename] / [rowidentifier]". The tablename and rowidentifier make place for the full OID, which makes things pretty unclear.

I have played around with the Port Name Template under SNMP Compatibility Options, but whatever I use there, nothing changes when I add the next item. Am I overseeing something or is it simply not possible in this situation?

Version 18.4.48.1279+

barracuda cloudgen nextgen port-name-template snmp snmp-custom-sensor snmp-library vpn vpn-monitoring

Created on Jan 4, 2019 10:21:03 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi Bryan,

Thank you for your message.

While creating the sensor you're able to use the default [tablename] and [rowidentifier] placeholders or any other Table OID which has the same index as the entries from the current table. Please use an OID which uniquely identifies the interface, e.g. the OID which holds the name of the tunnels.

This is also explained in more detail in the following blog post (section "Creating the Sensor"):
What can I monitor with the snmp custom table sensor?

Does that help?

Kind regards,
Andreas Günther
Tech Support, Paessler AG

Created on Jan 7, 2019 2:10:38 PM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.