What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Channel Unit Configuration for Sensor Factory Sensors

Votes:

Hi there, Is there any way to change channel unit in sensor factory sensors?

channel-unit configuration sensor-factory

Created on Jan 13, 2019 12:45:14 PM

6 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello there,

It's possible to define units in the "Channel Definition" of a Factory Sensor the following way:

#<id>:<name>[<unit>]
<formula>

Here an Example:

#1:Traffic[kbit]
channel(1234,1)

[<unit>] is an optional unit description for the factory sensor's channel (for example, bytes). If you do not provide a unit, the sensor factory selects a suitable unit string automatically (recommended).

For further information, please take a look at this manual.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Jan 14, 2019 2:01:23 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jan 14, 2019 2:01:42 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear Support Team, It was very very helpful and was great! Thanks a lot for your kind advice.

Created on Jan 15, 2019 9:32:59 AM

Votes:

Dear Support Team, Unfortunately it doesn't work correctly. The sensor factory sensors don't inherit channel unit configuration. So regardless of their parents always show traffic speed in Gbit/s. (for example X Gbit/s) After your advise i add a Mbit at the end of channel name as you describe. But it shows a very large and incorrect value after that (for example Y). I expected it to be multiplied by 1000. In addition regardless of unit that i edit in channel definition, that value does not change at all. I mean if i set Mbit or Kbit or any other unit, The result is still the same big wrong number. (Same Y)

Created on Jan 20, 2019 2:27:47 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Please note that the factory sensor gathers raw data with the default unit of the source sensor and so also works with the these results. E.g. the raw data of a traffic Sensor is given in kbit/second.

Kind regards,

Created on Jan 21, 2019 3:08:03 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 14, 2019 10:43:35 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi there, But it is not as you say in my PRTG. Each sensor factory has its own attitude regardless of its source channels. I mean some sensor factories's units are in Mbit/s and the others are in Gbit/s! And non of them are in bit/s or any other units!

Created on Feb 10, 2019 1:06:51 PM

Votes:

Hi,

I'm sorry, my last statement was not correct and a bit misleading. I corrected it.

Kind regards,

Created on Feb 14, 2019 10:45:49 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.