What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

E-mail once per hour

Votes:

I would like it for my PRTG installation to send me an email every hour, I've tried doing this by making a sensor that is always failing with an alert to email me if the sensor is down but it only sends the one email even though I've set it to send repeat notifiations. The reason I'm doing this is I want a way to KNOW without logging in that my PRTG is actually on and the sensors are working, if I have a sensor which sole purpose is to fail and email me once per hour that would work. Can someone please help me out with doing this?

e-mail monitoring prtg

Created on Jan 14, 2019 11:35:53 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

If it MUST be an email, why not having this email show you all down and warning sensors for that moment..

This tool can be set up with scheduled task, sending an email every hour or whenever you like.

Status2Email Send down and warning sensors by email

Sensors | Multi Channel Sensors | Tools | Notifications

Kind regards,

[[http://prtgtoolsfamily.com]] PRTGToolsFamily

Created on Jan 18, 2019 3:19:01 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Is your PRTG reachable from the outside world? If so - there are plenty of possible solutions to see if the web-site is reachable, indicating that you are online and PRTG is running.

Another possible solution is PRTG cloud based - meaning you have a probe on your environment but all the configuration is in the cloud. This would also alert you if your remote-probe (on your network) would become unreachable.

Personally, I would be annoyed getting an alive email every hour. I would see that I automate this somehow.

A second location with a free edition of PRTG helps - or a from home monitoring PRTG if the big one is alive - etc.. there is many ways you can accomplish this better then spamming your self with alive emails.

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Jan 14, 2019 3:02:55 PM

Votes:

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the KB-Post. You can configure SMTP-Sensors to send an email. Set the sensor to a 60 minute interval and there you have a heartbeat. Although I agree with Florian, there are other more elegant ways to do this (his recommendations are great!).

best regards.

Created on Jan 15, 2019 8:54:26 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

If it MUST be an email, why not having this email show you all down and warning sensors for that moment..

This tool can be set up with scheduled task, sending an email every hour or whenever you like.

Status2Email Send down and warning sensors by email

Sensors | Multi Channel Sensors | Tools | Notifications

Kind regards,

[[http://prtgtoolsfamily.com]] PRTGToolsFamily

Created on Jan 18, 2019 3:19:01 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.