What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Ruckus AP Monitoring

Votes:

Hello All,

Anyone find a reliable method for monitoring a Ruckus access point? The ZoneDirector will sometimes move a SSID to another wlanID in an access point, breaking the sensor and the sensor will think the SSID is down. No way I am aware to have the sensor follow the SSID to the newly assigned wlanID.

Here is a sample from the command line of an AP. "test" is currently assigned to wlan0, but for some reason it could be assigned to another wlanID in the future. The PRTG sensor monitors the wlanID, not the SSID. If the SSID is reassinged, wlan00 will no longer be listed and an alarm is posted in PRTG.

rkscli: get wlanlist
name          status   type   wlanID   radioID  bssid             ssid
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
wlan0         up       AP     wlan0    0        74:3e:2b:3e:d8:c8 test

Have Fun, Sean

access-points ruckus wlanid

Created on Jan 14, 2019 1:52:13 PM

Last change on Jan 14, 2019 8:16:57 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

5 Replies

Votes:

Sean,

Can you confirm which sensors you are using? Where did you get them from? I'll see if I can modify them to look at the SSID instead of the wlanID.

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Jan 16, 2019 2:27:43 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Do you have an update on this? I have 28 AP's that I need to monitor too, but I keep getting these alerts as well.

Created on Aug 29, 2019 7:57:28 PM

Votes:

Hi Patrick,

which certain Sensor are you use to monitor your access point?

Best Regards,
Moritz Heller
Tech Support

Created on Aug 30, 2019 8:42:03 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Sean,

What firmware is your controller running? I saw some detail in the MIBs from the ruckus site for similar counters, but these were for 10.0 firmware and my test ZD1200 is running 9.0. It does show up when adding after importing using the Paessler MIB Importer, but sensors dont get created, and if they do they don't show any clear data. Was looking for a way to monitor the associated client numbers too as I had deployed it and 4 R500s in a high movement location.

Regards,

Toy

Created on Apr 18, 2020 12:09:57 PM

Votes:

I realize this is an older thread, but in terms of monitoring a Ruckus APs client count (this is total clients / STAs per radio , not per wlan). This is also direct from the AP itself (standalone firmware, but i have done similar with ruckAPs controlled by a ZD)

2g STA Count OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.25053.1.1.12.1.1.1.3.1.2.1

5g STA Count: 1.3.6.1.4.1.25053.1.1.12.1.1.1.3.1.2.2

2g Busy AirTime: 1.3.6.1.4.1.25053.1.1.12.1.1.1.3.1.51.1

i usually do a: snmpwalk -c <ip> .

(note the PERIOD at the very end, ie to walk all of the snmp OIDs) -> i then work backwards from the snmpwalk results (googling , looking at MIBs, ect) to see what can be monitored on xyz device via snmp.

you can also load a MIB into the snmpwalk so that you see real Text descriptions instead of raw OIDs. (i usually run both snmpwalks if a MIB is available for a device)

i know from the ZD directly, you can get several SNMP stats, including total client count (all aps), number of APs the ZD shows as online... ect

Created on Oct 28, 2022 7:16:26 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.