What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

"EOF was observed that violates the protocol" on start up

Votes:

I get the above message when I try to start PRTG Network Monitor using the regular icon (PRTG GUI Starter.exe). It also says "Error connecting with SSL". If I manually browse to URL it works ok. I don't see any errors in the web server log but the core server seems to think there is a conflict on port 80/443. I don't see anything else running on port 443 and the server is configured to use HTTPS, so I don't know why port 80 would matter. I am running version 18.4.46.1736+

It was running fine for a long time so I don't know what happened. I upgraded not long ago but it continued to work ok until now.

Any ideas? I might try another upgrade to see if it resolves it.

eof ssl web

Created on Jan 15, 2019 12:07:38 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

You don't need the "GUI Starter". This is just a shortlink to the webinterface of PRTG. Therefore please continue to reach PRTG via your browser, via the Enterprise Console or the Desktop Client:
https://www.paessler.com/prtg/prtg-desktop

Best regards.

Created on Jan 15, 2019 11:46:53 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This happened to me when I removed TLS 1.0 from accepted SSL protocols on the PRTG server. So, that is why you are getting the protocol error. Not a big deal, just hit the webpage.

Mike

Created on Apr 30, 2019 12:19:13 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.