What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Vcenter Sensor

Votes:

Hello PRTG Support Team,

We are monitoring our Vmware Vcenter virtualization management software on the PRTG, when we select any virtual machine we can't see the estimated free space area, so how we can add estimated free space area to PRTG Console,

Please Help us,

Regards,

estimated-free-space prtg sensor vcenter

Created on Jan 22, 2019 6:00:02 AM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Free space is not available on the VMware API as far as I know. The SOAP API sensors will only show you generic information about CPU load, RAM usage etc.

In order to see the free space available, you need a operating system conform probe - for Windows you need to create a Windows device per VM and simply add the Multi-Disk-Sensor to this device.

Depending on what the device does, I would then further add sensor for specific Windows-Services, probably AntiVirus monitoring, SQL databases and Backup monitoring, more specific monitoring depends all on what services are on the system and what is important.

If it is e.g. Linux as guest OS you could use SNMP sensors to monitor the free disk space...

The above is at least how I tackle this - might be the PRTG support has a few more information or better ways - always curious to hear about it...

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Jan 22, 2019 2:39:49 PM

Votes:

Hello,

I agree with Florian here, but I also want a little more information. What kind of free space are you talking about? The datastore the VM resides? The virtual drives? Can you clairfy this?

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Jan 23, 2019 2:07:09 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.