What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Unexpected connection drop (code: PE039)

Votes:

IMAP round trip sensor talking to Exchange 2007 server. Gets "Unexpected connection drop (code: PE039)" No test email is received.

Plain SMTP with mail delivery sensor does not work either so I suspect it may be the same problem.

Telnet tests from machine that is running probe (it is the local probe PRTG itself doing the test) works fine; mail can be delivered.

I am using the beta version: PRTG Network Monitor V8

© 1996-2010 Paessler AG Burgschmietstrasse 10 D-90419 Nuernberg Germany

Installed versions:

Server Service: V8.0.5.1434 Probe Service: V8.0.5.1434 Server Administration Tool: V8.0.5.1434 Probe Administration Tool: V8.0.5.1434 Import Tool: V8.0.5.1434

beta imap prtg smtp

Created on Aug 30, 2010 11:34:02 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Dear Roland,

does the error happen frequently? Does it "resolve itself"?

Best Regards.

Created on Sep 1, 2010 11:44:01 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

It happens 100%. Neither the IMAP round trip sensor, or the plain SMTP sensor have ever connected to the Exchange server successfully.

I assume that both sensors connect to the target via SMTP first to send a piece of email. As this works from telnet xxx.foo.com 25 on the machine running the probe I am guessing that the proble itself is somehow confused.

The machine is "mutlihomed" and the probe is configured to connect to the prtg server on 127.0.0.1 and to use a public IP for "Outgoing" requests. Tried placing the sensor on another problem that is a different location in my network and I got the same failure mode, so I suspect that "networking" is not the root cause of this problem.

Created on Sep 1, 2010 3:31:51 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.