What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How Much Disk Space do NetFlow Sensors Use?

Votes:

Is there any way we can see how much disk space our NetFlow/sFlow sensors are using? Otherwise, if that cannot be answered, can we get any confirmation if they utilize more disk space than other types of sensors? According to our "Monitoring Database" folders, we're producing about 700MB of data per day, and I'm just wondering what percentage of that is related to NetFlow data. We have a customer that is asking for NetFlow monitoring, but I would like to understand the impact before I agree to do it.

diskspace netflow sflow xflow

Created on Jan 28, 2019 4:54:31 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Stan,

Yes, the sensors themselves are minimal. The only long-term storage for the Netflow sensors besides the sensor data is the Toplists. That information is stored in the following folder.

c:\programdata\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor
Toplist Database

The sensor data is stored by device. So you would need to search for a file called Device <device ID>.prd.

From there you can see the average file size of each device for a given 24 hour period.

Let me know if I can answer any further questions.

Thanks!

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Jan 29, 2019 9:21:07 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.