What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

'Days since last restart' counter using 'Windows System Uptime' sensor?

Votes:

Heya!

I'm trying to setup a sensor that will count how many days it's been since a server restarted (i.e. Uptime). We've had issues recently where externally hosted VMs aren't automatically restarting after scheduled updates, sometimes for months causing the Windows Installer module to consume vast amounts of RAM and CPU.

The standard 'Windows System Uptime' sensor kinda works okay in that it measures the number of days the system has been up.

Issue is, I want to enable alerting on the System Uptime channel in this sensor so that it goes into warning/alarm mode when it's been up for more than 31 days (i.e. more than the monthly patching cycle), however the Limit settings unit is in seconds, and won't allow me to put a high enough number in (2.6 million) to get it to count to 31 days before it alarms.

Any ideas?

limits uptime wmi

Created on Feb 4, 2019 12:47:56 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I figured out why this wasn't working for me initially. The limit settings wont accept COMMAS in the number!

i.e.

2678400 is fine 2,678,400 is NOT!

Regards

Created on Feb 27, 2019 11:19:40 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Set a limit in the channel that shows the uptime:

• Click on the channel to open its settings
  • "Enable Limits"
  • You need to set an "Upper Error Limit" of 2678400, which equals 31 days in seconds (as the source unit is in seconds)
  • If not already the case add a state trigger on sensor's "Notification Triggers" tab like "When sensor is down for 0 seconds, then perform notification xyz"

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Feb 4, 2019 6:46:58 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

Thanks, I must have had fat fingers yesterday as I swear I tried to do just that an it errored out telling me the number was too large. Have followed your instructions today and have added Warning limits at 31 days and error limits at 62 days successfully.

Thanks!

Created on Feb 5, 2019 12:44:58 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I figured out why this wasn't working for me initially. The limit settings wont accept COMMAS in the number!

i.e.

2678400 is fine 2,678,400 is NOT!

Regards

Created on Feb 27, 2019 11:19:40 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.