What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Create switch dependencies

Votes:

Hello,

I'm monitoring all my network (around 100 switches) with PRTG and I'm not found where to declare dependencies.

I want to declare some switches as parent and if they're not reachable all switches with a dependances will not check until first come back. Ideally if PRTG done with that a full map of my network with depedencies, will be great !

Tks in advance.

Romain

cisco-switch dependency switch

Created on Feb 6, 2019 12:35:44 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Just set their dependencies.. like explained here: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/dependencies

You can make objects dependent on other objects.. you can even mirror the whole hierarchy with groups etc. there are various ways to accomplish this.

It sounds a bit odd that your switches/stacks aren't multi-meshed - most facilities will have their switches in a multi-mesh / redundancy configuration so if one link or switch goes down the dependents still have connectivity due to other "routes" or links - but that's really off topic now..

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Feb 6, 2019 2:44:12 PM

Votes:

Thanks, Florian.

I think Romain wants to do something that other users encounter as well, I'm not seeing this for the first time. Usually it is good practice to have the ping sensor of a device to be master object for this device, so all sensors will be paused on it as soon as its ping sensor fails. That's a classic.

Now what Romain wants to achieve, is having a whole bunch of devices to be paused when one particular switch fails, but each of those devices might have already a dependency on their ping sensors. So, what to do? The only workaround would be to set an additional dependency in the settings of a group, so ideally all of those "to be paused devices" should be in a dedicated group, the "Master Switch" needs to be outside that group, then you can set a dependency in the settings of the group that points to the ping of the "Master Switch". When ping on "Master Switch" goes down, everything in that group gets paused.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Feb 6, 2019 4:09:58 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

Tks for your reply, yes I'm not searching how to change the sensor for one device, but yes to pause many switch when one onf my core switch is down.

I've mutliple core switch and some edge swtich depends of them so when I lost one of my core switch some of my edge switches can be in teh black and I don't want to monitore them anymore during issue and so don't received many, many alerts. I'll look on my map for that :)

So main idea is to create new group and add a dependency to a switch in other group, ok...

I've worked a lot on Nagios and for this kind of needs, just need to declare a host parent :)

Tks

Romain

Created on Feb 6, 2019 4:16:01 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.