What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Creating a SSL certificate sensor for a Remote Desktop Services Manager server

Votes:

Hello, So I have a Remote Desktop Services (RDS) Gateway server that uses a SSL Certificate for Remote Desktop services. Specifically, it supports a Terminal server farm. However, this server does not host IIS (and my boss does not want it too). The SSL certificate is in the certificates store in the MMC console as I had to import it into it to use it with the RDS. My challenge is to create a sensor that will alert once the SSL cert is expiring/expired. I know how to normally set these sensors up but this is a bit different. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks! Jarrett

certificate prtg ssl

Created on Feb 6, 2019 2:13:38 PM

4 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

PowerShell can do that..

But why invent the wheel new - did you check the PRTG Tools Family for the WinCertExpiration sensor?

There are various ways to accomplish this for sure.

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Feb 6, 2019 2:38:46 PM

Votes:

"PowerShell can do that.." Are you referring to using powershell with PRTG to query the server for the certificate information? I have not used powershell in conjuction with PRTG before Can you advise of any helpful links for doing so? (note: I am searching that myself now, but if you have any suggestions I would be appreciative)

As far as the PRTG Tools Family. I did run across that in my research but since it was hosted on a different site than Paessler I wasn't sure if it is approved by Paessler or safe for that matter.

Thanks! Jarrett

Created on Feb 6, 2019 3:39:35 PM

Votes:

PRTG Tools Family as well as any stuff I post e.g. here or on my web site aren't official Paessler solutions - rather then being developed by third parties.. (e.g. PRTG Tools Family or e.g. me).

You can use them - it's just people sharing solutions..

PowerShell would work - but as I said, there is already a solution out there that would do what you want (as far as I can tell).

Can't talk for Paessler - I know the suggested solution is third party - but I don't see an issue with it and would use it if I need it - you don't get support on it from Paessler directly - and it might depend on your companies security policy if you can use it - besides that - I do not see an issue with it. E.g. the PRTG Tools Family is very active here as well and a well known source for good solution.

Hope that helps you, Jarrett.

Florian

Created on Feb 6, 2019 4:16:47 PM

Votes:

Plugins from PRTG Tools Family are fine, we recommend them ourselves.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Feb 6, 2019 4:25:44 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.