What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

packet sniffer sensor does not see my nic

Votes:

Hello, I set up the packet sniffer sensor about 1 year ago, it worked fine for a long time, recently I noticed it just stopped working, and I removed it. When I try to add it again, it does not list the nic that's attached to my destination port mirror on my switch. I have tried adding an IP address to the nic (something I did not have to do before when it was working) but the packet sniffer sensor still does not see the nic, I have tried restarting the services, rebooting the computer, is there anything else to try? maybe a log file? Thanks!

nic packet-sniffer sensor

Created on Feb 6, 2019 9:03:43 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello Rafael,

Does it list the other NICs on of the regarding PRTG Server/Remote Probe? Open "PRTG Administration Tool" and check in tab "Probe Settings for Monitoring" if it is to "auto" of fixed to a particular NIC. Does the regarding NIC show up there at all?

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Feb 7, 2019 3:00:22 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Erhard, Thanks for the reply, I was actually able to fix the issue, I used wireshark to test my sniffing interface, and I noticed it wasn't being seen by wireshark either, so that's when I knew it wasn't a prtg issue. I found a log file that pointed me to an npf driver that seemed to be corrupt. I think it got corrupted when I originially installed wireshark, which used the winpcap module, I basically went through the registry deleting npf driver and reinstalled wireshark, and now both wireshark and prtg see my sniffing interface, I am back in business. Thank you!

Created on Feb 7, 2019 3:15:52 PM

Votes:

Great find, Rafael! :)

Created on Feb 7, 2019 3:21:23 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.