What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Cisco SG300 SNMP monitoring breaking https

Votes:

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuw92103

Apparently PRTG's implementation of SNMP is causing Cisco SG300's to stop responding on HTTPS. In my experience this issue also causes the switch to have problems when a reload command is issued and eventually you just have to pull the plug.

I still have an open case with Cisco but they seem to be implying its Paesslers problem so I thought I would open a case here as well. Is this a know problem and is there a fix? I have a lot of these switches currently effected by this issue.

bug cisco prtg snmp

Created on Feb 13, 2019 1:21:28 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello there,

So far I did not find any similar reports from other customers. The ticket on Cisco's end doesn't really contain much details like which SNMP version is involved and alike. For example SNMP v3 uses encryption, which could play a role here, otherwise I don't really see how unencrypted UDP packets used by SNMP should bring down the SG300's HTTPS connectivity. Other aspects that can be tweaked on PRTG's end would be trying out "SNMP Compatibility Options" on the device's "Settings" tab in PRTG, for example changing the request type and setting a delay for SNMP queries, to see if this makes a difference.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Feb 14, 2019 12:45:58 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.