What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

2 hour live view in map

Votes:

I am a new PRTG user. We just got unlimited sensors and I'm starting to try and set up Maps. We are not really sure how we want maps or what maps we want set up yet. I'm sure it will take time to really pair down what information we will find useful. At this moment, what I would really like is to see the live graph traffic on port channels for a switch for the past hour. What I am able to get is a 10 hour graph, but I would like to see just the last hour. I've seen posts about a 'live graph past 2 hours' which would be ok, but I don't seem to see this in v18.4 (the version we are running). Is there some way for me to customize the timeframe for a live graph within a map?

live-graph map time

Created on Feb 13, 2019 2:46:07 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello ktimm,

The time period shown in the Live Graphs tabs depend on the scanning interval of the sensor. By default, the tab (and tables) contain 120 monitored values. A scanning interval of 5 minutes results ober the last 600 minutes (10 hours).
To reduce the time period covered in the graph to 2 hours, you need to re-configure the scanning interval of this sensor to 60 seconds.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Feb 18, 2019 7:27:07 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

15 Replies

Votes:

Hello there,

Thank you very much for your contact.

Did you already review whether the following map object suits your requirements:
Graphs | Live graph (large fonts)

It shows the sensor's graph for the last two hours without any customization required.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Feb 14, 2019 12:38:10 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

All the Live Graphs, regardless of Large, Small, or Tiny, show me 10 hours.

Created on Feb 14, 2019 12:42:19 PM

Votes:

Hello ktimm,

What sensor type (e.g. SNMP Traffic etc.) do you chose and what's the sensor's scanning interval?

Sebastian

Created on Feb 15, 2019 8:52:04 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm selecting the port channel interface on the left, then selecting Graphs - Live Graph (small font) on the right. My guess is snmp traffic. Scanning interval is set to 5 minutes.

Created on Feb 15, 2019 12:04:16 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello ktimm,

The time period shown in the Live Graphs tabs depend on the scanning interval of the sensor. By default, the tab (and tables) contain 120 monitored values. A scanning interval of 5 minutes results ober the last 600 minutes (10 hours).
To reduce the time period covered in the graph to 2 hours, you need to re-configure the scanning interval of this sensor to 60 seconds.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Feb 18, 2019 7:27:07 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Would doing so cause more overhead on the server itself? I am not the "owner" of the server, just a user, so I don't want to cause the server to choke.

Created on Feb 18, 2019 12:06:44 PM

Votes:

Hello ktimm,

Indeed, a smaller scanning interval will raise the load of the PRTG Core Server. For one single sensor it should be fine though, but if we speak about hundreds not thousands of sensors whose scanning interval is changed, this might raise significant work load.

In your case I would highly recommend to speak to the administrator of PRTG. He/she should check the overall load and whether its reasonable to increase the scans on this sensor.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Feb 18, 2019 1:23:28 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Can you increase that on a sub set of the entire device? IE I only want to increase the scanning of the SNMP traffic on X port while not increasing it on the entire device?

Created on Feb 18, 2019 1:25:15 PM

Votes:

Yes, you can adjust the scanning interval for multiple sensors at once using PRTG's multi-edit.

Created on Feb 18, 2019 1:51:40 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks folks! I was able to go in and change the scanning interval for the individual port. Changing it to poll every 60 seconds gives me a 2 hour "live view" and 30 seconds gives me a 1 hour "live view". Makes a huge difference in visibility of traffic monitoring. One thing I noticed though, once I change a sensor poll frequency, I seem to lose all historical data? If I run a history report, there are no data points previous to when I made the change, regardless of the frequency I set in the report. Is this expected?

Created on Apr 17, 2019 11:59:26 AM

Votes:

Hello there,

This is not expected. Please let me know which PRTG version you are currently running. Does the issue also persists after a Core Server restart?

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Apr 18, 2019 1:34:40 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

18.4.47.1962 and I don't have access to restart the core server, so I'm not sure. I changed the settings on multiple sensors and each one seems to have the same result with historical data missing when I run a report. What's strange is the "live map" will still show those data points that were there. It's just when running a report.

Created on Apr 18, 2019 2:01:27 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

I could not recreate this issue in our latest release. Maybe updating to the current version (19.2.49.2018) resolves the issue.

Please let us know if it still persists afterwards.

Kind regards,

Created on Apr 19, 2019 11:21:08 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I do not have the ability to do that. The main system is not controlled by me. I could request it.

Created on Apr 22, 2019 4:53:34 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Please do so and let us know about the results.

Kind regards,

Created on Apr 23, 2019 6:56:32 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.