What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Synology Physical Disk 'NotInilialized'

Votes:

A couple months ago i had to replace a drive in my Disk Pool on my Synology NAS.

I montior this NAS via SNMP, and the disk that was a Hot Spare, rebuilt the pool, and I went over and swapped out the dead drive, and assigned it as the new Hot Spare.

However the PRTG reports this disk as a Warning:Physical Disk 'NotInilialized'

Any suggestions on how to get it back to green?

not-initialized snmp synology

Created on Feb 13, 2019 7:37:04 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello AKDGCM,

Thank you very much for your contact.

I'll need a couple of details from the affected sensor for further analysis. They are easier provided via email to [email protected], so feel free to contact us via email instead. Then, please provide me with:
1.) a screenshot of the sensor's "Overview" tab
2.) a screenshot of the sensor's "Log" tab
3.) the sensor's configuration report (which can be generated within the sensor's "Settings" tab, using the small printer icon in the upper right corner of the Basic Sensor Settings. Simply print/save this as configuration report as PDF file.)

Please make sure to capture the whole PRTG user interface (neither cropped nor resized) in any screenshot and attach them as email file attachment.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Feb 14, 2019 1:35:26 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

My super smart colleague managed to find the sensor template files. Made a copy of it, then edited it (since it was a simple XML file with definitions of states of different ststauses). In this case we simply adjusted the Not Initialized status of a warning state, to a green state. Then saved this custom sensor template to the customs area PRTG offers.

After restarting the PRTG services our custom sensor type could then be chosen for each disk sensor.

The only downside is since this is a per sensor thing there was no way to set this sensor template at the device. We had to change each disk sensor we had for each disk being monitored.

Obviously the best solution would be to have Synology have a way to initialize Hot spare disks, but I guess to them they don't want to send any I/O to the disk until it actually needs to be used. So this is the only work around we could come up with. Sorry for not having more specific details but I hope this helps others with the same problem.

Created on Feb 19, 2019 9:03:52 PM

Votes:

Thank you very much for your clarification.

Created on Feb 20, 2019 8:37:19 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Which directory are these xml files stored in?

Created on Jun 13, 2019 3:13:14 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

I believe he refers to the .ovl files that use XML format.
Please define a custom lookup to define a status for the 'NotInilialized' result.

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Jun 14, 2019 8:53:07 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.